APPLIED 24 mm report

10 replies to this topic
  • 700MX

Posted March 26, 2007 - 01:56 PM

Ok, first off I have to say this. Some people you could blind swap the forks off a 75 wombat on there 07, and they would tell you how amazing and factory like it feels. Some riders are much more sensitive to changes than others. I think skill level makes some mods feel "night and day" versus "I think I felt it"

After reading the opinions of several....I almost talked myself out of clamps. I am glad I did not. The Applied 24mm made a night and day improvement for me. Instead of thinking about rutted cornes, I just fell in......Hondaish. on the flats, I had better traction but still had to force the super inside a bit. The biggest improvement for me was mid corner.....the quick cut mid apex to center out of the corner.

I have two races on these now, and have to say it was a huge improvement it was. I dont have to force corners near as much anymore (except flat....super inside)

Hope this helps

• Ga426owner

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:36 PM

I have heard the same and would like to try them out.....who has the best price on these?

• The Italian Stallion

Posted March 27, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Ok, first off I have to say this. Some people you could blind swap the forks off a 75 wombat on there 07, and they would tell you how amazing and factory like it feels. Some riders are much more sensitive to changes than others. I think skill level makes some mods feel "night and day" versus "I think I felt it"

After reading the opinions of several....I almost talked myself out of clamps. I am glad I did not. The Applied 24mm made a night and day improvement for me. Instead of thinking about rutted cornes, I just fell in......Hondaish. on the flats, I had better traction but still had to force the super inside a bit. The biggest improvement for me was mid corner.....the quick cut mid apex to center out of the corner.

I have two races on these now, and have to say it was a huge improvement it was. I dont have to force corners near as much anymore (except flat....super inside)

Hope this helps

I went with the RG3 22s because I thought 1mm was not big of a change,and I am happy.Why did you go only 24? Also how high did you raise your forks?

• 700MX

Posted March 27, 2007 - 06:42 PM

I went with the RG3 22s because I thought 1mm was not big of a change,and I am happy.Why did you go only 24? Also how high did you raise your forks?

One of the main reasons I went 24 is because RG3 was backordered for quite some time....and I needed to try something.

I figured 2mm made a huge difference on my honda, so I will just try the 1mm change.

I REALLY like it, but not having rode the 22's I cant say if those would be better yet. If they would have been in stock, I would have gone RG3 first, but I am happy with my choice.

I am still running 5mm up!

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:09 AM

Did you go with just the upper clamp or did you go with the upper and lower clamp?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2007 - 08:05 AM

You can't use an offset upper without the matching lower clamp.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted March 28, 2007 - 09:34 AM

Then why do they sell them separate?

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2007 - 10:19 AM

No one does, that I'm aware of. The top clamp kits are all stock offsets. Pulling the top of the fork back without also moving them back at the lower clamp would result in the axle being moved forward, which is the opposite of what you would be trying to accomplish.

• Ranger18

Posted March 28, 2007 - 10:21 AM

Then why do they sell them separate?

Why do they sell 10 hot dogs to a pack and only 8 buns?

With the triple clamps I would assume they will sell seperatly incase you break one or the other. They also sell stock offset clamps upper or lower as a replacement incase you break one of your factory clamps.

• Whiz-bang

Posted March 28, 2007 - 02:57 PM

How about the new Pro Taper 22.5 set-up? Seems like a good price and lots of flexibility. Anybody tried these?

• Thesolidman1

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:57 PM

I have spoken with RG-3 and Applied. Apparently, it is not as simple as "if some is good, more is better". Applied said Doug Dubach test different offsets extensively, and the result is the 24 mm was the best. They also said that is what Yamaha did for 2007. Interestingly, they go the other way with the YZ250F, with 27mm offset being the hot set up. I plan to order the 24mm offset as soon as I can. I just bought a 06 YZ450. Love the bike, hate the push. Also, in this months MXA, they say "The Applied 24mm offset is the only clamp that improves the push" Hey thanks for your report on the clamps. That is the kind of info that is very valuable

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.