04 450 Chain Tentioner

1 reply to this topic
  • gregghealy

Posted March 26, 2007 - 10:32 AM

I did a valve check on my nephews 04 450 over the weekend. This was the first valve check this bike has had since NEW. Ouch... Luckily they were all on the tighter end of in spec but I let them go until next time (much sooner...).

The oddity was that I noticed at TDC Compression the cam chain seemed excessively tight. I pulled the cam chain tensioner off to make sure it was working right and it seemed to be stuck. I had to give it a really good turn to free it up. Wound it down and installed it again, gave it a few kicks to spin it around and then the chain had a little give at TDC compression.

Will these chains tighten up like that or is it normal on these motors for the chain to be tight at TDC compression? As long as I got the tensioner in and its working right it should be fine correct?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2007 - 01:32 PM

First, let me point out that the valves are always set at the tight edge of specs at the factory to begin with. No worries. In spec is in spec.

On the chain tensioner, it will take up any slack it ever finds and will not let it back off. The chain will most likely be as tight as you first found it after the next time you run it up to 10k again. As long as it operates smoothly, and cannot be forced to compress without turning the screw, it's OK. They can develop a stuck feel when trying to unload it in place, but that's also fairly normal. Loosening the mounting screws will relieve the pressure on the plunger, and make it easier to unload. You can also just remove it and unload it "on the bench". It's usually easier that way.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.