possible problems with the 07 450

13 replies to this topic
  • Slinkyman16

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:34 AM

hey guys. i was out riding yesterday when i came across some things that i found weird.. first off there is a sound comming from my right side of my engine.. i really dont know what it is but it sounds like its clutch related cause when i pull in my clutch it goes away and when i let it out it gets loud. what could this be? or is this normal.. the bike has around 5-10 hours on it. i also know that i need to adjust my valves cause its getting hard to start. im thinking about taking my bike in for a complete overhaul on the engine(adjust the valves,clutch, and anything else that isant in spec with factory) if i cant figure out whats wrong.

thanks
josh

• WB450

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:47 AM

hey guys. i was out riding yesterday when i came across some things that i found weird.. first off there is a sound comming from my right side of my engine.. i really dont know what it is but it sounds like its clutch related cause when i pull in my clutch it goes away and when i let it out it gets loud. what could this be? or is this normal.. the bike has around 5-10 hours on it. i also know that i need to adjust my valves cause its getting hard to start. im thinking about taking my bike in for a complete overhaul on the engine(adjust the valves,clutch, and anything else that isant in spec with factory) if i cant figure out whats wrong.

thanks
josh

My clutch does the same thing, as far as the valves, mine starts on the first kick usually when cold.

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:58 AM

It's normal:

http://www.thumperta...462#post3204462

If it has no more than 5-10 hours on it, it certainly doesn't need the valves adjusted. But you can check that yourself easily enough, even if you don't feel competent to actually adjust the valves.

Hard starting can come from a partially fouled plug, or just from a change in the weather. Try adjusting the pilot screw for your current conditions.

Posted March 26, 2007 - 10:58 AM

07 manual does suggest checking valve clearence after break in and 10 hours afterwards... mine was tight and I've made adjustments... just my 2 cents.

It's normal:

http://www.thumperta...462#post3204462

If it has no more than 5-10 hours on it, it certainly doesn't need the valves adjusted. But you can check that yourself easily enough, even if you don't feel competent to actually adjust the valves.

Hard starting can come from a partially fouled plug, or just from a change in the weather. Try adjusting the pilot screw for your current conditions.

• charger01

Posted March 26, 2007 - 11:15 AM

My exhaust valves were also tight at 10hrs. I would suggest to check them. Very easy to do.

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 26, 2007 - 12:11 PM

okay guys. yeah i planned on checking them this week. i just was really concerned about the sounds comming from my clutch. got me worried there for a min. im also changing the plug cause i think its fouling out... i plan on checking the valves later on this week when i have some free time. anything else i should do while im doing some maintence?

thanks
josh

• no air charlie

Posted March 26, 2007 - 12:45 PM

If you recently installed a skid plate that will make it sound like the clutch is loud.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slinkyman16

Posted March 26, 2007 - 12:53 PM

in fact i did just install a factory gytr skid plate.. before i took my bike out yesterday... which makes since.

josh

• no air charlie

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Same thing happened to me when I bought my 06. I put on a works connection skid plate, loaded up and went to the track. I rode one lap and pulled back in. It sounded almost like the clutch or main bearings were bad. Then I remembered the skid plate and took it back off. The noise magically disappeared.

Something about the skid plate on the 06 & 07's magnifies the engine noise. You can stuff some foam between the skid plate and the engine and that helps quiet it down but still will be a little louder than stock.

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:19 PM

thanks. ill stick the factory foam yamaha sent me with my skid plate in tomarrow.. and see how much a diff that makes.
thanks agian everyone

• sean mps

Posted March 27, 2007 - 09:29 AM

Ive got similar noise from mine and wouldnt worry about it.

I have however heard another noise which sounds more apparant on tick over? Is it something to with auto decompressor? Valves are fine exhaust is on .20 spec is this normal?

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2007 - 09:49 AM

The YZF valve train is noisy, and no attempt has been made to make it any quieter, since it wouldn't go any faster, or be any more reliable if it were quieter.

The best bet, if you're suspicious, is to compare with a few like motorcycles.

• sean mps

Posted March 27, 2007 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the response.

There are very little yzf's near me so cant listen, but the noise seems to be very apparant on start up, what else could it be if it wasnt just noisey valve train????

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 29, 2007 - 05:09 PM

it was the spark plug that was causing my problems.. changed and fired first kick.. 5 bucks and 10 mins time was worth it.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.