seat suggestion

18 replies to this topic
  • AMG_Eric

Posted March 26, 2007 - 07:59 AM

ok i am 6' about 220 and i have a wr450 2005. this seat is killing me. we just went on a 20 miler east of valencia and most of it was on the seat because other wise a tree would hit you.

does anyone have a great soft seat suggestion? the stock one know makes my butt sore rather quickly. i dont know if its because its too hard or the covering is too abrasive on the fanny.

i want to do some long baja rides and i know i wont stand for 120 miles. being that i wont stand for all of that comfort is key.

• spick

Posted March 26, 2007 - 08:40 AM

Folks often say the tall, soft seats from Guts Racing are ideal. I don't have one myself, but I know what you're talking about and am seriously considering getting one for this season.

Cheers.

• dmoney1074

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:22 AM

Whatever you do, don't use a gripper cover... I made this mistake, and after a long ride my arse is on fire!!! I'm going back to leather or somthing smooth!

• Vegemite_luva

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:25 AM

Corbin gel seats are considered the best but kind of pricey. http://www.americanasoftseats.com is a cheaper alternative and you may opt to install the gel or memory foam yourself. Just do a google search on raw gel pad.

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:49 AM

Whatever you do, don't use a gripper cover... I made this mistake, and after a long ride my arse is on fire!!! I'm going back to leather or somthing smooth!

The Guts tall foam is the way to go....... the gripper cover is good too! I have never heard anyone blame monkeybutt on a seat cover before

• dmoney1074

Posted March 26, 2007 - 10:25 AM

The Guts tall foam is the way to go....... the gripper cover is good too! I have never heard anyone blame monkeybutt on a seat cover before

Ya its been bad, I never got it before the gripper cover! For some reason it just tears me up!

• Vegemite_luva

Posted March 26, 2007 - 10:48 AM

Corbin gel seats are considered the best but kind of pricey. http://www.americanasoftseats.com is a cheaper alternative and you may opt to install the gel or memory foam yourself. Just do a google search on raw gel pad.

A friend of mine just reminded me that gel can get warm in the heat so you may just want to add a layer of memory foam. This can easily be done by removing the seat cover, cut, glue the memory foam either on top of or in place of existing foam, recover with staples.

• Bladerunner426

Posted March 26, 2007 - 11:09 AM

[quote name='dmoney1074']Ya its been bad, I never got it before the gripper cover! For some reason it just tears me up![/QUO

Of course you are going to have monkybutt if you ride NAKED.:bonk:

• AMG_Eric

Posted March 26, 2007 - 11:52 AM

ok i am a bit confused. went thru the suggestions.

do i have to keep the stiff part of the seat frame and then foam it and cover it? do they just make a whole unit as one?

if you do remove the seat covering is it fairly easy put on a freshie?

i used to have a gel seat on my road bike (12 speed) back in the day. it was comfortable.

sorry for being a noob at the seat stuff. i have done everything else on this bike and its just time to rid myself of the dreaded monkey butt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbrooks26

Posted March 26, 2007 - 12:29 PM

You can send your seat to GUTS and they will take care of it for you. Otherwise, all you need is a staple gun to staple the new cover on. You simply glue the new foam to the old seat pan and recover the seat. Hope this helps.

• AMG_Eric

Posted March 26, 2007 - 12:30 PM

You can send your seat to GUTS and they will take care of it for you. Otherwise, all you need is a staple gun to staple the new cover on. You simply glue the new foam to the old seat pan and recover the seat. Hope this helps.

i knew that had to be the case.

so do you glue the foam and then the cover has gell sticthed into it.

• eissinger4

Posted March 26, 2007 - 12:47 PM

I recently started a thread on the Guts Tall Soft. I just put one on my 06 WR450, and it is the best mod I've done yet. I like to sit alot, so I needed a softer seat. I am 6'1" 175, and it is perfect. Guts doesn't make a complete seat yet, but you can send them your SEAT PAN ONLY, and they will install new foam and a cover for free. Their communication is terrible, but the turnaround time is really fast, especially if you're in Cali. If you install it yourself, it's not hard. Guts has this-http://www.gutsracin...directions.html

Makes it pretty easy. T50 stapler works fine, you just need a hard surface to put the seat on while you're stapling the cover back on. Believe me when I tell you, if you get a tall soft, you will not be disappointed!!:bonk:

• AMG_Eric

Posted March 26, 2007 - 12:48 PM

I recently started a thread on the Guts Tall Soft. I just put one on my 06 WR450, and it is the best mod I've done yet. I like to sit alot, so I needed a softer seat. I am 6'1" 175, and it is perfect. Guts doesn't make a complete seat yet, but you can send them your SEAT PAN ONLY, and they will install new foam and a cover for free. Their communication is terrible, but the turnaround time is really fast, especially if you're in Cali. If you install it yourself, it's not hard. Guts has this-http://www.gutsracin...directions.html

Makes it pretty easy. T50 stapler works fine, you just need a hard surface to put the seat on. Believe me when I tell you, if you get a tall soft, you will not be disappointed!!:bonk:

can you post your thread? i would like to read it.

does gutts offer gell as well?

• eissinger4

Posted March 26, 2007 - 12:55 PM

can you post your thread? i would like to read it.

does gutts offer gell as well?

http://www.thumperta...=guts tall soft

I don't think they have any gel. I didn't see any on their website. www.gutsracing.com

• ender_swift

Posted March 26, 2007 - 12:55 PM

Im 6'2" and I have a SDG tall seat for my WR400F. It also has a gripper cover..and i think that is the way to go for were I ride. The taller seat does make it more comefortable with my long legs.. But i would not want to ride 120 miles on my seat.

• eissinger4

Posted March 26, 2007 - 01:02 PM

SDG's are too hard, I think they are even harder than stock Some people like the harder seats, but not me. Alot of guys will try to tell you to stand up more, but that is one of the most irritating things in the world to me. If I wanna sit on my bike, I'm gonna sit. Don't listen to the guys that say that-
Other people will say that soft seats are not good for long rides, but I just took mine on a 100 mile ride, and with the Guts tall/soft, I had no monkey butt at all!!

• ender_swift

Posted March 26, 2007 - 01:07 PM

I guess that i would be one of the "tall, hard seat, stand-up people" :bonk:

Woods riding rules. :naughty:

• Vegemite_luva

Posted March 26, 2007 - 02:37 PM

ok i am a bit confused. went thru the suggestions.

do i have to keep the stiff part of the seat frame and then foam it and cover it? do they just make a whole unit as one?

if you do remove the seat covering is it fairly easy put on a freshie?

i used to have a gel seat on my road bike (12 speed) back in the day. it was comfortable.

sorry for being a noob at the seat stuff. i have done everything else on this bike and its just time to rid myself of the dreaded monkey butt.

Yes, it is fairly easy as long as you take your time. If you actually look at http://www.americana...com/gelpads.htm and look at the pictures you practically get instructions on how to install the memory foam.

The way I see it you can either put on additional memory foam on top of the existing soft foam for the ultimate in softness however you need to make sure there is enough seatcover material for you to staple back on. Or you can swap out the existing soft foam for the higher density memory foam. Get some spray glue to glue the foam down. Spray is better for more even coverage and to prevent the foam from tearing at the glue joints.

Restapling the seatcover is just like reupholstering a chair. Start stapling at the front of the seat with a few staples, then switch to the end of the seat. Pull the material taught and then staple. I like to do a star pattern to ensure evenness.

• AMG_Eric

Posted March 27, 2007 - 08:45 PM

oldman suggested using gell padder biker shorts. anyone try this?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.