XR650L Battery Swap?

7 replies to this topic
  • rdsrf

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:46 PM

Has anybody out there tried to swap the stock size battery for a smaller (lighter) gel unit?

• rebelventurer

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:56 PM

Welcome to TT, No havent had to think about a new battery yet but do not see why you could not, as long as you have the same, or better cold cranking amps and reserve minutes capacity. Seeems like a good way to loose a little weight up high on the bike. you would probably have to fabricate a mount for it if there is much of a size difference. I have found the marine type polymers good for this sort of thing, like starboard which is readily available at about all marine supply stores. If you do it let us know how it works out for you!

• rmhrc630

Posted March 25, 2007 - 09:37 PM

Has anybody out there tried to swap the stock size battery for a smaller (lighter) gel unit?

Yeah try a genuine OEM Yuasa CRF450X battery under the seat. It's what I used on my 628 high comp motor.

Posted Image

• rdsrf

Posted March 25, 2007 - 11:40 PM

Wow! That CRF 450X battery looks like a great swap....Thanks for the photo and the info. Is the 628 high compression motor a destroked 650?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:34 AM

The 450X battery is a great light high output unit. However, it does not have the same amp-hour capacity. You will need to be careful not to run the battery down too much.

As far as weight savings mods go this is by far the best that you can do.

• rmhrc630

Posted March 26, 2007 - 01:43 PM

The 450X battery is a great light high output unit. However, it does not have the same amp-hour capacity. You will need to be careful not to run the battery down too much.

As far as weight savings mods go this is by far the best that you can do.

This is very true and to be fair to the 650L guys I clearly have kickstart backup. Honda in their wisdom decided to remove the kickstart option on the 650L.

I certainly have not ever had my 628 fail to ignite. But I dont sit their cranking.

The other big diff is the dual power circuit I run - I had 100watts specially devoted to charging duties as I wanted to prevent any battery flat outs.

• rdsrf

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:39 PM

How do you set up the dual power circuit?

• rmhrc630

Posted March 26, 2007 - 08:29 PM

Recall my bike is an XR600 not 650L.

Stock Australian model 600s come with dual power circuits.

Thus on my 600 head and tail light are powered off the bike, while starting and indicators etc are powered off the DC system

650L come with only a DC system, no AC. Thus not possible with a 650L.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.