Oil in air filter compartment???

8 replies to this topic
  • Fman_04

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:32 PM

I went out riding with a friend who just bought an '07 WR450f, and he noticed oil on the side of his boots. Looking further into it, we opened the airbox and there was mass oil in the box dripping out. We turned the motor over with the airbox cover off and oil was spewing out a line that led into the airbox compartment. The bikes motor is stock and has about 100 miles on it. He just got it back from the dealership after they serviced it.

Does anyone know what might cause this???

Thanks for any input...

• resinlips

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:39 PM

Cant trust dealer service. Sounds like they over filled the oil.

• gregwr450f

Posted March 25, 2007 - 09:39 PM

Yep, check the oil level.

• blackdog9

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:58 PM

¡Engine oil overfill!...check "vent hose" threads. In later models, the vent hose is routed to the airbox (in a "catch can" fashion). In earlier models, this hose was open, routed same as a carb drain hose... to the pavement.
I found this the hard way ...messy airbox and messy air filter. Even with a normal oil filling, after every ride I would have a dirty air filter, with a big brownish spot on its outer side. After a while I noticed this vent hose opening on the airbox... preciselly facing that brown big spot in the air filter element!!!!
So, I went the old fashion days... I plugged the hole and routed the vent hose facing the chain, as a "lube device". The result: a clean air filter after many rides, and a permanently oiled chain....(you will find that even with normal engine oil levels, the hose will still drip oil to the chain-frame after every ride).
Greetings from Chile.
Sergio
P.D. Also, my bike (2007 also) would stall frequently, in low revs...and after this mod, it never stalled again. Dónt know the reason, but I´m happy again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fman_04

Posted March 26, 2007 - 08:48 PM

Would over filling the engine cause damage? And why would Yamaha design the engine to spew oil into the airfilter compartment? That seems like a crazy idea. He must have the later model because the line goes directly to the airbox.

Thanks for the input.

• resinlips

Posted March 26, 2007 - 08:59 PM

It was'nt designed to spew oil in there, only blow by. It's a crank case breather just like you're car. The problem here is that he is'nt doing his own maintenance. The service dorks grossly overfilled it. Hopefully he did'nt buy into a service contract! Also I think the dog down in Chile is going to get water in his motor. over

• blackdog9

Posted March 27, 2007 - 05:05 PM

It was'nt designed to spew oil in there, only blow by. It's a crank case breather just like you're car. The problem here is that he is'nt doing his own maintenance. The service dorks grossly overfilled it. Hopefully he did'nt buy into a service contract! Also I think the dog down in Chile is going to get water in his motor. over

¿You think so?.. Think twice...and check where I ride:
Posted Image
And by the way, I´ve been told this hose has positive pressure, so it should not be a problem in water crossings (If I ever find water here...). :bonk:
Take care.. ride safe.

• resinlips

Posted March 27, 2007 - 06:24 PM

Yep you are right chilidog! Got me there. I've seen that pic, very nice. Must be an oasis out there somewhere. whatch out for it! Take care

• ffgman

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:08 PM

Hey guys, I had a bad experiance on my 04. The crankcase breather runs down the front frame cradle down by the skid plate. It does blow air out, but if the motors off it turns into a vacuum and will suck water into your motor. I learned the hard way,I shut the motor off for a DEEP river crossing and didnt think muck about it until I changed the oil next time and it looked like milk. My 07 breather goes into the airbox and now I know why. So if you must reroute it keep the end of it very high or dont overfill your oil. The riding looks bitchin in Chile. Some of my buddies went riding in Peru and had the time of there life. Take it easy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.