IMS Tanks for XR650R

19 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted March 25, 2007 - 06:46 PM

Hello Guys-
It seems most who race will be fine with the 3.2. My question is why does the IMS Site list only a 3.2 or a 4.6 for the XR650R, but XR'S Only lists a 3.2, 4.0 and a 4.6? Is there a 4.0? :applause:

• rebelventurer

Posted March 25, 2007 - 08:09 PM

You may want to give xrs only a call on that one, ask for Kamell in shipping seems to be very knowleedgable and gives straight answers. May be a typo on xrs only behalf, possibly listing the L model 4 gallon tank available for the R? Let us know what you find out!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 26, 2007 - 03:43 PM

Hello Guys-
It seems most who race will be fine with the 3.2. My question is why does the IMS Site list only a 3.2 or a 4.6 for the XR650R, but XR'S Only lists a 3.2, 4.0 and a 4.6? Is there a 4.0? :bonk:

Most definitely they are cornfusing the 4.0 XRL tank with the R. There are only two sizes. . . . . . . . . . . . . .unless of course you want a 7 gallon behemoth. I believe IMS still might make that one for the 650R.

• philipstjohn

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Most definitely they are cornfusing the 4.0 XRL tank with the R. There are only two sizes. . . . . . . . . . . . . .unless of course you want a 7 gallon behemoth. I believe IMS still might make that one for the 650R.

My buddy who has an L just installed a 4.0 awhile back, and I did not think of this until you guys posted your responses. Thanks...

• prockish17

Posted March 27, 2007 - 11:05 AM

I have had my IMS 3.2 on for while and was considering putting back on the stock. I forgot how far I can get with the stocker. With an average moving rate of about 15 mph how far can I get??? Doing the China Hat with 2 42 mile loops.

• drop

Posted March 27, 2007 - 03:04 PM

Just curious, why you going back to stocker?

• Infidel

Posted March 27, 2007 - 07:36 PM

Just posted an ad for my white one here:

http://www.thumperta...ct=23593&cat=28

Just an FYI

• drop

Posted March 28, 2007 - 03:45 PM

I was shopping for a red 3.2 gal but when I type in the part number for the thumper talk store it shows up in my cart as a 3.4 gal. Do they have it confused with a tank for the XR650L? Can you get a red 3.2?

• philipstjohn

Posted March 28, 2007 - 04:49 PM

I was shopping for a red 3.2 gal but when I type in the part number for the thumper talk store it shows up in my cart as a 3.4 gal. Do they have it confused with a tank for the XR650L? Can you get a red 3.2?

As far as I have always known, IMS makes a 3.2, 4.6, and a 7.0 gallon for the XR650R. I have seen some quote having a 3.4 IMS, which I think is a mistake like with XR's Only site listing a 4.0... probably just typos...

• prockish17

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:31 PM

Drop, you asked why go back to stocker???

I have had the IMS on for 4 or 5 years and had these reasons.
A) always ride with dudes with stockers, so why bother loading gas around when we have to go back and fill anyway.
:bonk: Figured I can get access to both the plug and the top of the EBQS carb knob.
C) Less fuel, less weight.

Now that I have it back on I see that I don't have access to either plug or carb anyway. And I just don't know if I got the fuel milage with open air box now. I'm up in the air on wether to put back on the 3.2 now.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpage

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:13 PM

Drop, you asked why go back to stocker???

I have had the IMS on for 4 or 5 years and had these reasons.
A) always ride with dudes with stockers, so why bother loading gas around when we have to go back and fill anyway.
:bonk: Figured I can get access to both the plug and the top of the EBQS carb knob.
C) Less fuel, less weight.

Now that I have it back on I see that I don't have access to either plug or carb anyway. And I just don't know if I got the fuel milage with open air box now. I'm up in the air on wether to put back on the 3.2 now.....

When I used the stocker way back when, I would get anywhere from around 37-45 miles on mixed trails before I had to hit reserve depending on how I was riding. If I remember correctly. So maybe 50 miles is about max with reserve???

• Billahjack

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Tank Info:

Stock Range is usually around 60 miles give or take 10 miles depending on conditions for entire tank including reserve. Remember that with all tanks you can tip your bike severly to the right to transfer fuel and get a few more miles. I believe the stock tank is 2.9 gallons. Why would you buy a 3.2-3.4 range over a stock 2.9? I don't know. That seems like alot of money for another .5 gallons capacity.

IMS makes one set of sizes and Clarke makes another set of sizes for tanks. So far, the IMS 4.6 is a difficult tank to get it to fit well. You have to cut the reinforcement ribs on the back of the right radiator shroud to get that installed. The frame mounts do not line up well and you may have to use a pry bar between the tank and shock reservoir to get the holes to line up. I am running a 4.6 on my 2001 XR650R and it works decently well. I can do over 100 miles on dirt without worrying.

I have a Clarke 3.8 on another XR650R (2000 model). The fit is excellent and the tank is fairly narrow still. This one gets around 80-110 miles depending on conditions.

My buddy has a Clarke 4.3 which fit fairly well but we had to put an adhesive shim on the tank to keep the seat tight. We used some sort of foamy grip tape pad for skateboards/windsurf-boards/snowboards that was around 1/8" thick. Without it the front of the seat would shift around.

Some of the larger tanks (bigger than 4.6) have issues with the fuel line routing from the petcock to the carb where the fuel line can crimp and cut your fuel flow. Be careful of this.

• Thumpage

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:44 PM

Hmm, Billa,... a 3.8 Clark? Never heard or seen a listing for one. Interesting.
I have a red Clark 4.3 and it is a nice fitting tank. I have no problem with the seat area. I also have a newer IMS 3.2in natural that I will be fitting soon. I have also read that the bigger IMS 4.6s don't fit as well as the Clark 4.3s. The Clarks have a nicer shape, (in my opinion) than the IMS 4.6s. The Clarks don't have that funky flared out section where the radiator shrouds attach.
The stock tank is 2.6 though. So you still get roughly .7 gallons of extra fuel.
I have used the clark 4.3 on the long all day rides. I will use the slimmer IMS 3.2 for the dunes and otherwise when I know I will be headed back to the truck midday rather than 'back by dark'.

• Thumpage

Posted March 28, 2007 - 09:36 PM

The stock tank is 2.6 though. So you still get roughly .7 gallons of extra fuel.

Doh! I meant .6 gallons of extra fuel....maybe not much but just enough for some riding requirements.

• Billahjack

Posted March 29, 2007 - 06:18 PM

Hmm, Billa,... a 3.8 Clark? Never heard or seen a listing for one. Interesting.
I have a red Clark 4.3 and it is a nice fitting tank. I have no problem with the seat area. I also have a newer IMS 3.2in natural that I will be fitting soon. I have also read that the bigger IMS 4.6s don't fit as well as the Clark 4.3s. The Clarks have a nicer shape, (in my opinion) than the IMS 4.6s. The Clarks don't have that funky flared out section where the radiator shrouds attach.
I have used the clark 4.3 on the long all day rides. I will use the slimmer IMS 3.2 for the dunes and otherwise when I know I will be headed back to the truck midday rather than 'back by dark'.

Well I'm pretty sure its a clarke that came with my 2000 XR650R. My buddy drained the tank at his house and pushed it to the gas station where he said he put in 3.78 gallons from dry to to filler neck. I'm pretty sure the owner bought the tank in 2000. I really like the tank as it is fairly slim but holds decent capacity.

• Thumpage

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:13 PM

Any chance of posting a couple close up pics of the tank? On the 4.3 Clark tanks, and maybe on all of their tanks, the lowest side/ rear area of the tanks have Clark lightly molded into it. Maybe yours does?
I am wondering if your buddy actually removed the tank and dumped it completely out. If some fuel was left over on the left side of the tank, that might explain the difference between 3.8 & 4.3. Just a guess. You did say "from dry to the filler neck" So,.. :bonk:
There are 3.8 Clark tanks made for the XR400 and a couple other older XR's though.

• Billahjack

Posted March 30, 2007 - 02:06 PM

Maybe I'm on crack and its a IMS or different. I do remember putting more gas than 3.4 in it a couple times at the gas station. After looking at the tank, its not a Clarke due to the missing name imprint on the side.

My buddy has the Clarke 4.3 and I have the IMS 4.6 on both our 2001 bikes.

I'm just cleaning up my 2000 bike a bit so I can sell it.

Here are the pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• philipstjohn

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:28 PM

Maybe I'm on crack and its a IMS or different. I do remember putting more gas than 3.4 in it a couple times at the gas station. After looking at the tank, its not a Clarke due to the missing name imprint on the side.

Here are the pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

That tank has nice lines...if you and your buddy have a Clarke 4.3, and a IMS 4.6 tank, then obviously this one is different then those. I have heard/read these tanks can expand with age, could this have happened? :bonk:

• Thumpage

Posted March 30, 2007 - 05:51 PM

Here are the pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Aahaa, that is a IMS 3.2. IMS does actually list them as 3.2 but some online stores do list them as 3.4 for some reason, (maybe typos). Philip might just be correct about the sides expanding somewhat over time. I have heard talk of the same thing happening with both sizes and brands of XR650R tanks. I guess that solves it.

• Billahjack

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:47 PM

Thanks guys! I like the tank size on the bike but like the 4.6 gallon range better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.