Acerbis 6.6 gal Tank - plastic petcock!!

15 replies to this topic
  • whacker99

Posted March 25, 2007 - 01:07 PM

Just purchased and mounted the monster of a tank on my 2005 WR450.:lol:

The acerbis tank (6.6gal) has on the right side a "screw type shutoff" and the left side has the actual petcock. The problem is that the petcock lever is plastic :eek: !!! I have searched the pages of this forum and the internet to look for a metal type of lever for the petcock with no luck. I will even put a screw type shutoff on the left side as well if I can get one.

Acerbis website has only the plastic lever petcocks available...they don't show even the screw type.

Any help would be appreciated in finding a source. It seems that only a certain size will actually fit the tank since the mounting holes for the shutoff are different than stock.

Thank you in advance and I appreciate the work that goes into such a informative website :applause: !!!

B

• whacker99

Posted March 25, 2007 - 01:18 PM

I will be calling them tomorrow when they open but was hoping to get some useful information in the meantime. Heavy no doubt but hey they don't run on air.

• whacker99

Posted March 26, 2007 - 07:53 AM

Called Acerbis this morning and they had great customer service. Unfortunately the "Universal Petcock" for the fuel tank is no longer made.
Available, are only the plastic lever type.
I am still skeptical about it and hope someone has some ideas. The mounting holes are closer together than stock. I haved searched the net and will continue to do so but in the meantime any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 26, 2007 - 10:45 AM

Zip Ty Racing fuel petcock knob

Indy posted this a few weeks back

Posted Image

• whacker99

Posted March 26, 2007 - 11:41 AM

:bonk: :naughty: Thank you for the help!

• BOLT Performance

Posted March 26, 2007 - 01:49 PM

That's awesome !

• johnnyjeep

Posted March 26, 2007 - 08:49 PM

I have the 6.6 and the one indy shows looks way tougher, but it still hangs out there in the breeze. Ive been riding with that tank for almost a year, many offs and it it still there, working fine.

John in Vegas

• spidennis

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:09 PM

I have the 6.6 and the one indy shows looks way tougher, but it still hangs out there in the breeze. Ive been riding with that tank for almost a year, many offs and it it still there, working fine.

John in Vegas

Hey john, had you needed to refuel another rider from your 6.6 before? Is there a way to have a Tee - Off to drain fuel to aid in a refueling? I was also thinking that this would work well for using those camping stoves that run off gas and this would keep all the gas in one place ...... I still haven't gotten my 6.6 yet, my house mods are keeping my wallet pretty tied up ... bummer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BOLT Performance

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:22 PM

I use a siphone hose... It has a ball bearing in the end that goes in the tank... You give it a wack wack like one of those flash lights you shake to power... gas starts flowing... no gas in the mouth... You can buy them at any Flying J Gas stops for $9.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• johnnyjeep

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:33 PM

Yes I have had to refuel others. I am the "tanker" in our club. Its pretty easy. My hoses are automotive hoses, so they fit tight (no clamps) but to take it off, I need pliers to break the seal. I close both petcocks, take the hose off the one with the plastic lever, put my hose from my cap on it and open/close the valve as needed. If the container we have available is big enough or only filling the container once, I use the hose I took off the petcock and control the flow with the screw side. Works good except, everyone expects me to run with that big ass tank full all the time.

John in Vegas

• wrider

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:41 PM

I just received my 6.6 acerbis tank and it came with metal petcocks...

Posted Image

************ OOPS **************************

i was looking at the shutoff valve, the actual petcock does have a plastic handle. DOH!

• johnnyjeep

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:51 PM

we were talking about the on/off lever on the petcock

• wrider

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:59 PM

yes, I see that now... never mind!

• ARin

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:46 PM

if anyone is interested in one of these tanks, PM or email me.

I have one with ONE ride on it, and i need to get rid of it.

• clark4131

Posted March 29, 2007 - 10:16 PM

if anyone is interested in one of these tanks, PM or email me.

I have one with ONE ride on it, and i need to get rid of it.

Did it turn out to be too damn big, or what?...SC

• ARin

Posted March 30, 2007 - 01:34 AM

didnt suit me.
nice tank though.

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.