fork seals

8 replies to this topic
  • wes_scooter

Posted March 25, 2007 - 11:25 AM

i went to a local motocross pratice track today with my 06 wr450. and after casing one jump and bottoming the suspension on many others i now have oil leaking form the fork seals, both forks started leaking at the same time... is that something that sounds normal from bottoming the suspension, or should i be looking for a bent fork tube.

• snakesausage

Posted March 25, 2007 - 01:34 PM

Among my riding group, one of us gets at least one leaky seal every time we go out. We ride in very sandy conditions, this is what I think gets stuck in the seals and causes them to leak. It only takes a few grains of sand and it will leak like a 60's British motorcycle crankcase. We use the "business card" method which is:

1. Remove the fork leg protector.
2. Pull down the dust seal by lightly prying with a thin blade screwdriver.
3. Use a plastic or laminated business card corner (film negative or tear-off works too) to slide under the oil seal and dig out the dirt. do this all the way around.
4. clean everything up with a paper towel, I use WD40 too because it is portable and does a good job getting the dirt off the fork leg and from around the dust seal.
5. reassemble the dust seal and fork leg protector.

I also saw this Seal Mate apparatus in my latest Cycle Gear catalog so I am going to pick one up or see if it is stocked in the TT store.
http://www.cyclegear...tem=TUC_15-8356

• specialk6r

Posted March 25, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Packing a bit of grease (usually lithium-based) beneath the dust seal is a popular technique for preventing sand from causing leaks. The grease catches the sand and holds it in suspension, keeping most of it out of your seals.

• drtbk4ever

Posted March 26, 2007 - 11:20 AM

Here are a couple of tutorial links regarding Fork Seals. With pictures.

http://www.dirtbikew...ead.php?t=16751

http://www.cajunmx.com/forkseal.htm

Let us know the outcome.

Cheers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AMG_Eric

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:56 AM

i had a leaky seal when i 1st got my bike in oct 06. i replaced both seals and bought some SEAL SAVERS. no problems since and i have put 1000 miles on the bike.

• wes_scooter

Posted March 28, 2007 - 02:40 PM

Dealer says its not uncommon to have them leak after being bottomed out very hard. especiuly if they both start at the same exact time. i've ordered seals and seal savers. will rebuild tommorow. and next time i go to the track i'll take the time to stiffen the suspension up.

• MaxPower

Posted March 29, 2007 - 12:46 AM

[COLOR="Green"]I can see if you are Seth Enslow but I dont see how seals would leak after bottoming your forks unless there are something in the seals or they are worn[/COLOR]

• drtbk4ever

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:17 AM

Dealer says its not uncommon to have them leak after being bottomed out very hard. especiuly if they both start at the same exact time. i've ordered seals and seal savers. will rebuild tommorow. and next time i go to the track i'll take the time to stiffen the suspension up.

Are the seals leaking a little bit or have they leaked out enough to leave a puddle?

Because if they are only leaking a littel bit, I would bet that a good clean would solve your problem.

And the seal savers are a very good idea.

Let us know how it goes.

• wes_scooter

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:39 PM

the seals were not leaking sitting in the barn for what i can remember but seen the leak when putting it in the truck later in the weekend. i use a board to keep the suspension form compressing very far when tied down and the oil was runing down the fork and after a few hours left a small puddle on the truck. but dosent leak very bad till u stroke the forks. priced a complete redo my suspension shop since i'm 230# and its sprung for 165#. $580 for new springs and new valving dident seem to bad.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.