07 WR450 oil change

9 replies to this topic
  • TyeeHusky

Posted March 25, 2007 - 10:25 AM

OK, I did my first complete oil change the other day. Filter and all and followed the manual completely.

the manual says a complete oil change with filter will be 1.27 quarts. I ended up with 1.75 quarts of oil to get level to show on dipstick. Went for a quick ride and still on level of dipstick.

Were did the other 1/2 quart go? No overflow, no oil anyplace.

How much oil are you guys adding each complete change?

• Tough Guy

Posted March 25, 2007 - 10:45 AM

1 quart. I've changed the oil and filter twice and the oil level has been right on per the dip-stick when warm.

Chris

• TyeeHusky

Posted March 25, 2007 - 11:03 AM

Now I am completely stumped.

I drained the oil from all three drains. Did not touch the filter. The manual calls for adding 1 US quart. I did that and still no level on the dipstick.

Does the bike need to be warmed first for a level to show?

Does you bike show a level after adding oil but not riding?

I do not want to destroy a new engine but want to get it right..

Thanks

• resinlips

Posted March 25, 2007 - 11:36 AM

Dont read the stick till after you have run it for a couple minutes. One quart is all you should need.

• Tough Guy

Posted March 25, 2007 - 12:45 PM

Yeah, what ^^he^^ said! :applause:

Chris

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TyeeHusky

Posted March 25, 2007 - 02:36 PM

THANKS GUYS!!!!!

That did the trick. Still do not know how starting the bike raised the level but did as you said, added one quart and started the bike. Level came right up to were it belongs.

I am so used to adding oil and checking the level. Someone can explain how this works on the WR450 and then i will know also.

Once again thanks

• WR_Dave

Posted March 25, 2007 - 02:52 PM

The 450 uses a dry sump type of system like when the reservoir was in the frame. You have to run the engine until all the oil is pumped into the reservoir so you can measure the oil level. The new reservoir is in the cases on this engine. WR Dave.

• blackdog9

Posted March 25, 2007 - 03:30 PM

OK, I did my first complete oil change the other day. Filter and all and followed the manual completely.

the manual says a complete oil change with filter will be 1.27 quarts. I ended up with 1.75 quarts of oil to get level to show on dipstick. Went for a quick ride and still on level of dipstick.

Were did the other 1/2 quart go? No overflow, no oil anyplace.

How much oil are you guys adding each complete change?

!Watch out¡ If you overfilled... oil will come out in the air-box, through the vent hose... I did re-route mine to the chain, and plugged the air box hole.:applause:

• resinlips

Posted March 25, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Dont forget to do the whole gallery bolt bleed. It's important to make sure you have pressure. Or at least the manual says so.

• TyeeHusky

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:22 PM

The dry sump makes sense. Thanks for explaining how the level gets there. Manual should do a better job of explaining to start and then check level.

I will check the airbox tomorrow but think it is OK since did not go for more than a 3 minute ride since changing the oil the other day.

Once again, thanks to all who responded.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.