Making My 03 yz450 a Woods Machine

6 replies to this topic
  • jcburni

Posted March 24, 2007 - 06:49 PM

Interested in what other riders have done to their bikes to make them more manageable in the tight woods. I'm running 13/50 gears but it still is a beast in the tight trees. What have you guys and gals been doing to your suspension to make it better for the woods. Im thinking flywheel weight would help but what weight:excuseme: Any suggestions will be much appreciated:thumbsup:

• jef

Posted March 24, 2007 - 10:40 PM

Got one, its a rocket ship ................. (left stock,) it's a matter of time before it will wrap you around a tree.

However there is a remedy: 10oz. f/w, DuBach spark arrestor or eq., and a G2 throttle - largest cam of the 3 included.

You will thank yourself you made these changes - guarranteed!

Good Luck

• TD-3

Posted March 25, 2007 - 03:39 AM

Here is my 03 setup for offroad.

I added:

Rekluse Clutch (stock gearing)
ELine Stator
Suspension Revalve (Bruce's Suspension)
Scotts Damper
Fastway Pegs
Kickstand
Applied Rubber Mounted top clamp.
Pro Taper Windham Bend
JD Jetting
FMF Powerbomb Header
Pro Moto Sparky (not on in the picture)
Clarke 2.8gal tank (not on in the picture)

I'd say for offroading the 450, the suspension, Rekluse and damper are the best mods (in that order). If you don't go with a Rekluse a heavier flywheel weight and lower gearing will help in the tight stuff. Regardless it's still a handful, but I like it.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz_for_me

Posted March 25, 2007 - 04:12 PM

I would highly recomend the Rekluse and a flywheel. The rekluse is great for eliminating stalls, but it doesn't do a lot to smooth out the power. That's where the flywheel is nice. I went with a 8 oz GYTR and have been very happy with it.

• kawirider

Posted March 25, 2007 - 04:24 PM

I dont know if you are racing or not but I seemed to do all right with my setup. I just had 14/49 gearing with a Dr.D full system and a JD jet kit. It was quite a handful becuase I dont have barkbusters on it and my bars are really wide but I think it kinda helped me at the same time because it MADE me go fast.

I dont do singletrack very much but I was still getting up into 2nd and 3rd gear in some of the less technical sections.

I did stall it 4 or 5 times (over 60 miles) but it was purely because of my inexperiance in singletrack.

I would think that having super low gears like you do would make it much more difficult because it would be very wheelie prone....:applause:

• jcburni

Posted March 25, 2007 - 04:34 PM

I dont know if you are racing or not but I seemed to do all right with my setup. I just had 14/49 gearing with a Dr.D full system and a JD jet kit. It was quite a handful becuase I dont have barkbusters on it and my bars are really wide but I think it kinda helped me at the same time because it MADE me go fast.

I dont do singletrack very much but I was still getting up into 2nd and 3rd gear in some of the less technical sections.

I did stall it 4 or 5 times (over 60 miles) but it was purely because of my inexperiance in singletrack.

I would think that having super low gears like you do would make it much more difficult because it would be very wheelie prone....:applause:

It sounds like the trails around here are a lot different then where you ride.(British Columbia). My bike is dialed for our fast trails. It's just that we also have super tight techniical trails, the kind that you don't leave first gear very often. In the summer you can charge the trails at higher speed it's just that in the winter it is the slickest train you can imagine.

I think I've decided on a 10oz flywheel for now. I just need to be able to hold a slower speed without having to feather the clutch like crazy. Don't get me wrong I do love the bull ride of the yz. I just need it to be more manageable at low speeds.

Thanks for all the help guys

• flintlock28

Posted March 25, 2007 - 05:23 PM

I too recommend the heavier flywheel. I added a 6 oz. heavier Dr. D. flywheel (Got used) but I'd recommend the 8 oz. minimum, or the 10 oz.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.