Oh crap, screw left over (XRR)

18 replies to this topic
  • 4Takt

Posted March 24, 2007 - 05:00 PM

Just put my XR650R back together and, naturally, I got a bolt left over. I'm going riding tomorrow morning.

It's a fairly distinct bolt, I'm counting on you guys to tell me where it goes.

It's M6, 10mm head, embossed "7", has a spring washer that wont come off.

PICTURES:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• frankstr

Posted March 24, 2007 - 06:58 PM

Side cover on right side.:applause:

Have fun riding...:eek: :lol:

• 4Takt

Posted March 24, 2007 - 07:30 PM

Side cover on right side.:applause:

Have fun riding...:eek: :lol:

Thanks, but can you be more specific? I still don't see it :lol:

• 4Takt

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:01 AM

Here are the specifics (bolt no. 5):

Posted Image

No, that's definitely not the one.
I have a bad vibe about this, I'll report back after the ride if I'm still around. :applause:

4Takt

• DuncanL

Posted March 25, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Looks like it could be one of the two bolts that holds the front of the tank on?

-Duncan

• DuncanL

Posted March 25, 2007 - 03:12 PM

On second thoughts, the tank bolts are longer than that and the washer is wider.

Dunno what it's from. Sorry.

-Duncan

• Billahjack

Posted March 25, 2007 - 03:24 PM

What all did you take apart?

• 4Takt

Posted March 25, 2007 - 04:23 PM

What all did you take apart?

Everything but the engine.

Rode it today, nothing fell off. I'm hoping it might be from another bike, my garage can get messy. Only other japanese bike around that would use this type of bolt is my wife's CRF230... it sure ain't from my vintage Maico or BMW.

:applause:

• Billahjack

Posted March 25, 2007 - 05:32 PM

Well that narrows it down. :applause:

Doesn't look familiar to me and I have taken apart the rear shock, subframe, removed the front forks, seat, tank, pipe, header, radiators, bars, wheels, spokes, calipers, valve cover, cam and skid plate. It might be a replacement bolt for a lost stock bolt. If that is the case, then I have no clue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thouk

Posted March 26, 2007 - 08:50 AM

Rotor bolt????

• 4Takt

Posted March 26, 2007 - 10:01 AM

Rotor bolt????

Nope, those don't have the washer.

• BIGGITY

Posted March 26, 2007 - 02:29 PM

All I can think of is the side covers or the rear fender. That or a sub frame bolt but those don't have washers do they?

• porterdog

Posted March 26, 2007 - 02:33 PM

One of the bolts that holds the rear fender to the subframe? Pretty sure (one!) of mine is like that...

• focallength

Posted March 26, 2007 - 02:51 PM

it deffinetlly looks like it holds something on (no duh hunh). I mean speciffically like a seat bolt or a tank bolt, or it could be the bolt that holds on the right side plastic. Look around see whats loose or has an unoccupied hole. Like Im sure you havent done that already. Good luck

• 4Takt

Posted March 26, 2007 - 04:28 PM

it deffinetlly looks like it holds something on (no duh hunh). I mean speciffically like a seat bolt or a tank bolt, or it could be the bolt that holds on the right side plastic. Look around see whats loose or has an unoccupied hole. Like Im sure you havent done that already. Good luck

The thing is it has an integrated lock washer. That can't be meant to be used on a plastic fender or side cover. It has to be a structural bolt holding metal parts together.

I looked over every inch of the bike again today and can't find it.

• xrltim

Posted March 26, 2007 - 04:46 PM

The only ones I remember with the attached washer are the seat bolts. Or, could be one of the bolts that hold the airbox on. You'll miss it eventually.

• porterdog

Posted March 27, 2007 - 06:09 AM

The thing is it has an integrated lock washer. That can't be meant to be used on a plastic fender or side cover.

That's not a lock washer but rather a conventional flat washer used to spread the clamp load out and lower the contact pressure. Perfect for bearing against soft/breakage-prone plastic.

• 4Takt

Posted March 27, 2007 - 07:21 AM

That's not a lock washer but rather a conventional flat washer used to spread the clamp load out and lower the contact pressure. Perfect for bearing against soft/breakage-prone plastic.

No, it IS a lock washer. Im looking at it. It is a washer thats split open to lock the screw when compressed.

Seat bolts are bigger, M8, not M6 like this one.

I give up. Thanks to everyone trying to help.

Posted Image

• porterdog

Posted March 28, 2007 - 03:53 AM

No, it IS a lock washer.

Oops- sorry! You're right.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.