New bike for son.

5 replies to this topic
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted March 24, 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hey guys my 6.5 year old is bugging me to get him a new bike.He has the honda 50 right now and I feel he has maxed it out already.He is big for his age, and he knows how to use the gears.My question is do I throw him in the deep end and introduce him to a two stroke powerband with a clutch? [65cc] with good suspension? Or should I get him a 4 stroke 80?

• ZéPovinho

Posted March 24, 2007 - 02:55 PM

it depends on what will the bike be for.
if you just whant to do the simple step up from the honda 50 go for the bigger honda 80. I believe it would last forever on your kid´s hands, and has lots of aftermarket hop-up parts to do some upgrades to keep up for his grouth.
a 65 like the KTM or the kawa(?) come as ready-to-race bikes and are perfect to introduce your kid to racing.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted March 24, 2007 - 03:58 PM

it depends on what will the bike be for.
if you just whant to do the simple step up from the honda 50 go for the bigger honda 80. I believe it would last forever on your kid´s hands, and has lots of aftermarket hop-up parts to do some upgrades to keep up for his grouth.
a 65 like the KTM or the kawa(?) come as ready-to-race bikes and are perfect to introduce your kid to racing.

He will eventually race I don't want to rush him though.Comming of a50 do you think the power might be a little much for him on the 65 ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Racer24

Posted March 24, 2007 - 06:57 PM

i would say go with the 65 two stroke...if he has enough expierence...it will be good for him...i agree the powerband on a 2 stroke feels like it snaps real hard and pulls like no other....but 2 strokes will help him develop his skills...not saying a 4 stroke wouldnt...but when i stepped off a 2 smoke to a thumper i started to realize that the i didnt need to shift as much...with or without the clutch....

the first bike i started on was a ttr 90, the following bike was the kx65....and from there i was able to really learn the basic's, turning, jumping, line selection, and body english.....the 65cc was a great bike to really learn...

hope this helps...

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted March 24, 2007 - 07:12 PM

KLX 110
You can do upgrades as he gets better.
Then when he is ready to race get him a KTM 65(Best powerband in the class IMO) an use the 110 as a playbike.:applause:
GOOD LUCK!:eek: :lol:

• ZéPovinho

Posted March 25, 2007 - 04:29 PM

for a six-year-old a 65 has quite a snap( around 15Hp), but if the goal is to race, and if he already feels at ease on the 50, then the 65 is one of the bst ways to go.
remember that the 65 has more than twice the power of the 50 and he will take some time to get used to it, but in a way it will also teach him the ropes of riding faster sooner
buying the the 65 grants a racing bike for your kid for at least 3 more years before he can master it and do the step up for the 2 stoke 85 or a 150F(wich sould be much more developed from 3 years from now)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.