Carb mods

14 replies to this topic
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted March 24, 2007 - 01:24 PM

What is Zip ty doing to the carbs? Is it a secret? I was thinking of sending the carb to them but I am turned off by the UPS charges. My Dr D piipe cost me about $850.00 { stainless aluminum] by the time it got here! I would rather do this myself if possible. On the cover of the April MXA they have a picture of the float bowl with the title secret carb mod,but in the mag there is no write up on it? Does the picture on the the cover reveal the secret?

• twenty34

Posted March 24, 2007 - 03:20 PM

What is Zip ty doing to the carbs? Is it a secret? I was thinking of sending the carb to them but I am turned off by the UPS charges. My Dr D piipe cost me about $850.00 { stainless aluminum] by the time it got here! I would rather do this myself if possible. On the cover of the April MXA they have a picture of the float bowl with the title secret carb mod,but in the mag there is no write up on it? Does the picture on the the cover reveal the secret?

Some of the tricks are revealed and can be done by anyone such as installation of a new emulsion tube, but there are a few other "secrects" that aren't widely known as to protect their intellectual property, if you will. They are solid guys. To bad the shipping to your Country is phohibitive, but the work they do is worth it. You would not have the necessary skills to do it on your own and as such, this is best left to the Professionals. :applause:

• moochie

Posted March 24, 2007 - 04:08 PM

In addition to the "secret" stufff...do they also jet it for your altitude or do the leave the jetting to you. Is AP wiring part of the ZipTy mod?

• twenty34

Posted March 24, 2007 - 04:27 PM

In addition to the "secret" stufff...do they also jet it for your altitude or do the leave the jetting to you. Is AP wiring part of the ZipTy mod?

Jetting is up to you, but I did buy a new main and pilot since I was on the phone with them. They threw them in the box.

Yes, they do an outstanding job on the AP wiring. It's top notch. You can search the threads here as there's quite a bit of information circulation on this forum.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2007 - 08:42 PM

The Zip-Ty mod is a modification of the carb's main circuit, and an installation of a new emulsion tube (needle jet, main discharge nozzle) to change the way fuel is delivered. The effect is an across the board increase in power, totaling 1-1.5 at peak. Throttle response is also improved, and they do throw in the AP wiring mod as well.

• moochie

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:12 AM

This mod sure sounds like it's a hunnert bucks well spent when compared to the kind of added performance you'd get from something like the Boysen sure shot.

• WB450

Posted March 25, 2007 - 09:14 AM

After spending $850.00 on a pipe, your worried about $100.00 to make your bike run excellent?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted March 25, 2007 - 10:49 AM

After spending $850.00 on a pipe, your worried about $100.00 to make your bike run excellent?

That is not what I was getting at. I wanted to know if anyone knew exactly what they were doing to the carbs.And if I could do it myself.That $100.00 you spend would probably be about $300.00 for me.I am not belly aching about the pipe I can't make that in my garage! but I could change some brass doo dads.If thats all it was.But it looks like thats not the case.Sometimes when ordering things from the U.S parts and such can get stuck in customs.Imagine looking at your carbless bike in the garage for a month! This is an issue of cost and paranoia for me.

• CANUCKER

Posted March 25, 2007 - 11:16 AM

That is not what I was getting at. I wanted to know if anyone knew exactly what they were doing to the carbs.And if I could do it myself.That $100.00 you spend would probably be about $300.00 for me.I am not belly aching about the pipe I can't make that in my garage! but I could change some brass doo dads.If thats all it was.But it looks like thats not the case.Sometimes when ordering things from the U.S parts and such can get stuck in customs.Imagine looking at your carbless bike in the garage for a month! This is an issue of cost and paranoia for me.

i would like to know too

spill the beans!!!

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2007 - 12:30 PM

Zip-Ty will not disclose the complete and exact nature of their modifications. AFIK, it does involve modifying one or more air passageways in the carb's main circuit, so without knowing exactly what's being done, you wouldn't be able to duplicate it on your own.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted March 25, 2007 - 01:40 PM

The Zip-Ty mod is a modification of the carb's main circuit, and an installation of a new emulsion tube (needle jet, main discharge nozzle) to change the way fuel is delivered. The effect is an across the board increase in power, totaling 1-1.5 at peak. Throttle response is also improved, and they do throw in the AP wiring mod as well.

So some dremel work is done also. So would changing the emulsion tube and doing the ap mod be a half assed thing to do? And is the zip ty mod more of a yamaha related mod, or does it benifet all keihin carbs?

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2007 - 02:41 PM

Changing the emulsion tube will likely not have the desired effect if not done in conjunction with the work on the airways. In theory, the mod should be effective for any single cylinder four-stroke in the same displacement/carb size range, but it may be something that only the YZF likes. Don't have enough info.

• swatdoc

Posted March 25, 2007 - 05:03 PM

I plan on doing the Zip Ty mod also, but just for you info, the carb "secret" on the cover of MXA is nothing more than the R&D aftermarket float bowl mentioned elsewhere in this forum. Does include an acc pump cover as well as some design changes the the acc pump cavity. Biggest benefit is an adjustable screw for the leak jet - but the thing is once you get your squirt tuned with the proper leak jet (among other things) you don't need to change it as with a fuel screw. Retail is about $250.
Only way I would buy one is possibly for my DRZ which runs an aftermarket FCR MX carb which has no leak jet and is therefore a lot more tricky getting the squirt duration set.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:34 AM

Why do some of you not understand that if they spill the beans on everything they do.......it ain't no secret anymore and their value of this mod is gone. Call Steve at Zipty if you have questions
I don't know about customs....but clean all gas residue off the carb (no smell) and insure your carb for replacement value. Freight should not be out of hand.....:bonk:

• WB450

Posted March 26, 2007 - 07:15 AM

Why in the hell would they tell anyone anything? Steve at Zip Ty is a good guy to talk to, he'll tell you some of what they do, but it's a business, hard to make money if your telling everyone your secrets, right?:bonk:

I do understand the month with out a bike thing, that would suck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.