Leak after installing new tank...

7 replies to this topic
  • Manchu

Posted March 24, 2007 - 09:16 AM

I posted this over at advrider as well.

Just installed an Acerbis fuel tank and went to gas up. When I got back home I noticed that there was fuel dripping on the floor in my garage. It's leaking (steady drip) from some sort of drain/bleed off hose at the bottom of the frame, right behind the tranny case (kinda between the rear of the tranny case the swing arm).
I went ahead and kinked/zip tied the hose so as to block it off, and now the bike won't start. Is this some sort of bleed off to prevent flooding of the carb? If so, what do I have to do to stop the leak? Any ideas would be appreciated...

:applause:

• xr650l bum

Posted March 24, 2007 - 09:49 AM

Is the tank being properly vented? Maybe pressure building in tank, and therefore forcing fuel into carb!

• Manchu

Posted March 24, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Also, just noticed that it doesn't leak when the bike is running, and it doesn't leak when the petcocks are turned off when the bike isn't running. It only seems to leak when the bike is off and both petcocks are open.

• Manchu

Posted March 24, 2007 - 09:52 AM

Is the tank being properly vented? Maybe pressure building in tank, and therefore forcing fuel into carb!

I believe so, I checked to make sure that the holes in the cap were clear through. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650l bum

Posted March 24, 2007 - 09:55 AM

are you using a hose or vent cap?

• xr650l bum

Posted March 24, 2007 - 09:57 AM

I would be that if you take the gas cap off. Open petcocks there will be no leak.

• bcone

Posted March 24, 2007 - 11:43 AM

After installing a 6 gal Acerbis tank I had feul leaking from the bottom of my carb. Someone suggested that it was a bad float valve, which being old and worn out could not take the extra feul weight. I'll get it in this week. After I replace it I'll post again. My.02

• JUNIOR650

Posted March 24, 2007 - 11:58 AM

Mine did that the first time I turned on the gas after winter storage. I tapped the bowl on the bottom of the carb a couple times with a wrench and that took care of it. Float was stuck I believe.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.