electrical system

2 replies to this topic
  • aaronr

Posted March 23, 2007 - 10:06 PM

have a 1983 xr500, and it has been acting up lately. the electrical system misfires or somethin. it ran and made this small sneeze sound, until it died, and the carb boots kind of looked as if gas was igniting inside them. then after, when I try to kick it, every time it kicks back, it gets kinda annoying. then I checked the spark with a new plug, and it was very weak.:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted March 25, 2007 - 06:11 PM

Aaron, the most obvious thing I can think of is a timing issue. The kickback and singed carb boots sounds like your engine is backfiring.

One good question to ask whenever a problem pops up like this: have you done ANYTHING at all to the bike within the last 20+ hours of operation? Several times in my sordid bike-maintenance past I've made some change that trigged a seemingly unrelated problem somewhere else.

I am not familiar with the 500's timing setup but if you have an adjustable timing plate, that's the first thing I'd check. Followed by your ECM/ECU.

Unfortunately an ECU is generally difficult to troubleshoot without special test gear. Assuming you have the shop manual that's the best source of test procedures.

Sorry I cannot provide further ideas.

• rebelventurer

Posted March 25, 2007 - 08:05 PM

Welcome to TT, Have to agree with internalcombustion, you have timing issues. And as he stated check your stator mount to make sure it has not moved, next would be the stator itself you can ohm it with a volt meter if you have too much resistance, you need the stator rewound (usually more than 15000ohms) though not sure on your particular bike. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.