New '05 WR450 - planned mods - sanity check please

17 replies to this topic
  • wrider

Posted March 23, 2007 - 07:12 PM

I bought a new (in the crate) '05 WR450 today, the WR400 will be delegated to motard and visiting friend duty. I have about a month to prepare it for two weeks at Moab.

By buying a "vintage" bike, I saved enough to get some goodies, here is what I am thinking:

bigger tank (25L)
rekluse auto clutch
JD jet kit
AIS smog removal kit
throttle governer trim (or yz replacement)
BD dual sport kit w/ key switch
PMB silent insert
skid plate
scotts micronic oil filter
fastway footpegs
some kinda handguards (any recommendations?)

race tech springs for my 280#
front .48
rear 6.0

I will do the snorkel and maybe the grey wire.
------------------------------------------------------

does anyone have comments? stuff I should not bother with, stuff I should add?

I ride mostly trails on the east coast, and go west as often as possible.

thanks in advance

ps: does anyone know of any coupon codes for the TT store? :applause:

• clark4131

Posted March 24, 2007 - 10:29 AM

Sounds good, but here's a couple of things you might want to check on...

1) .48 springs aren't going to be enough for 280#. You'll need to go to .50's from Factory Connection, as Racetech don't make 'em that stiff. Also, you may want to go to a 6.2 in the rear. The Racetech calculator results tend to run a little light.
2) BD has been revamping the WR dual sport kit. They have had some noted issues in the past, but had posted here that they were actively addressing them. Before you order, I suggest you give them a call directly and ask.

How's that for advice?...SC

• wrider

Posted March 24, 2007 - 02:15 PM

That is good advice. I guess I ended up with the .48s because that is the limit of what I found was available. I also plan to have some sort of rack in the back, but I don't see a 6.2, only a 6.4. do you think I should go to the 6.4?

I know that they tried to make a kit without the stator mod, but it kept blowing the stock regulator. I think they have dropped that and now (again) are requiring the stator mod.

Should I consider alternatives? I have recently been dealing with BD on another bike and I am impressed with their customer service...

thanks

• wrider

Posted March 24, 2007 - 02:34 PM

what is a good handguard for this bike?

• clark4131

Posted March 24, 2007 - 02:36 PM

BD has good customer service and their products are generally considered to the industry standard, but the WR has been giving them fits. I'd still give them a call to see what they've come up with. If you don't get any satisfaction, try Trick Dual Sport. As far as the rear spring goes, there are a number of companies that have applications other than Racetech. Look through the TT store catalogs for a few alternatives. As far as handguards go, I run Cycras with no issues...SC

• woodsk

Posted March 24, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Cycra handguards are about as bullet proof as you can get

I have had great luck with trick dualsport kits. great customer service great product. very well liked here in the WR forum

• beezer

Posted March 24, 2007 - 07:03 PM

I tried the different baffle but had better luck with a WB E-2 pipe.

There was quite a noticable difference in powa.

• farkawi

Posted March 25, 2007 - 08:41 AM

Looks like a pretty hefty list. I like the stock WR footpegs though; so I'd forget the pegs and spend the $ on a good set of radiator guards. I bought the Flatland Racing guards which took a bit of "fitting" to install. (using the die grinder to enlarge the holes & trim the plastic) The Acerbis rally pro handguards also required a bit of shuffling to mount up as well. The tinkerer within me would love to have a set of JD needles to play with. My friendly local Yamaha dealer hooked me up with a main, pilot and shim for under the needle for $10 and I haven't seen fit to remove the carb again;even though she gets a bit fat at about 12,000 feet.....but experince has taught me that it is impossible to jet for a 7,000 foot spread. You'r in VA though so you likely won't have to deal with significant altitude changes. Welcome to the magic button cult!

• wrider

Posted March 25, 2007 - 04:19 PM

thanks for the replies. I suppose that the stock bars are "regular type" and I should order that type cycra handguards... or will I end up going to a different bar?

What Yamaha jetting (from the dealer) is recommended? Obviously, most of my riding will be below 6000 feet but will it work reasonably in Colorado? does anyone know what the elevation is at Moab?

I think that the 25 liter tank is a "built in" radiator guard, can anyone confirm? I have it ordered but haven't seen it for this bike yet. I have had pretty good luck with using these tanks but only filling them half way, it lowers the weight below a stock tank.

Again, thanks for the great input!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drzjay400e

Posted March 25, 2007 - 04:30 PM

:applause:

Sounds good, but here's a couple of things you might want to check on...

1) .48 springs aren't going to be enough for 280#. You'll need to go to .50's from Factory Connection, as Racetech don't make 'em that stiff. Also, you may want to go to a 6.2 in the rear. The Racetech calculator results tend to run a little light.
2) BD has been revamping the WR dual sport kit. They have had some noted issues in the past, but had posted here that they were actively addressing them. Before you order, I suggest you give them a call directly and ask.

How's that for advice?...SC

:eek: The BD Dual sport kit is ok but you have to mod your stator. If you can do it yourself then you will have time. If not you have to send it out. I just purchased the Trick Dual Sport Kit and with no mods required you can have it on in an hour:crazy:
Sweet set up also. Good tech support right from the guy who built and engineered the product. Now if I can only get my gear that I ordered from TT OEM 2 months ago:excuseme:

• Blaster21996

Posted March 25, 2007 - 08:27 PM

:eek:

:lol: The BD Dual sport kit is ok but you have to mod your stator. If you can do it yourself then you will have time. If not you have to send it out. I just purchased the Trick Dual Sport Kit and with no mods required you can have it on in an hour:crazy:
Sweet set up also. Good tech support right from the guy who built and engineered the product. Now if I can only get my gear that I ordered from TT OEM 2 months ago:excuseme:

TT is not the place to order from. They are S...l ...o...w.... :applause:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 25, 2007 - 10:02 PM

I busted up my stock pegs on my 05 wr450 when I hit a rock. I replace the with the rotating powerpegz and I love them.

I have the Acerbis 3.6 gal tank and it does not have radiator guards. I don't know about the larger one.

I'm 215lbs and I notice a big improvement when I got the correct springs and set my sag according to specs.

I have both the fmf factory 4 pipe and the stock with the pmb insert. There is no doubt that the FMF pipe makes a ton more power. You can actually feel it. However, the stock pipe with pmb is 93db and the FMF with the quiet insert is 96.2 (I get tested at the races once per month). Ultra heavy duty tubes are a must for front and rear.

I don't know much about rekluse, but I would change my tires and put a d756 on the front and a d952 (120 size) on the rear. The stock front tire doesn't stick to anything and the stock rear doesn't last under any sort of abuse. You can probably keep the rear until it wears out, but get rid of the stock front right away IMO.

• wrider

Posted March 27, 2007 - 09:33 PM

I have the Acerbis 3.6 gal tank and it does not have radiator guards. I don't know about the larger one.

I didn't mean that it had seperate radiator guards, but that the tank actually would act as a guard. the leading "wings" of the rank wrap around the radiator. of course it may need hardening.

thanks for the replies.

• Summit

Posted March 28, 2007 - 04:46 AM

I really like my Enduro Engineering handguards. Very strong and good looking too.

• AMG_Eric

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:30 AM

i was the one that tested the new bd kit on my wr450 05. there is nothing new except that you WILL have to do the stator upgrade. after quite a few 100 miles and a blown stock yamaha regulator bd decided to stick with what they had and have you do the stator upgrade.

i guess the sale of bd kits is slowing because carb is craking down on plating dirt bikes. keep this in mind if you are planning to plate your bike.

• wrider

Posted March 28, 2007 - 08:55 AM

after talking to BD it seems that the new design involves a new headlight switch (it will still require the stator mod). I guess they were carrying too much current through the switch and they would melt. The new switch addresses that problem. The new switches are due later in april.

I do not think that they use relays, but could be wrong. If I do it myself I will use relays here.

• AMG_Eric

Posted March 28, 2007 - 10:41 AM

after talking to BD it seems that the new design involves a new headlight switch (it will still require the stator mod). I guess they were carrying too much current through the switch and they would melt. The new switch addresses that problem. The new switches are due later in april.

I do not think that they use relays, but could be wrong. If I do it myself I will use relays here.

no relays that i know of on my bike and it was the test bike.

btw talk to ben at BD he is his the in house expert. A real nice guy and goes out of his way to help. He has treated me more then fairly every time i have went down there to have work done or something repaired.

• wrider

Posted March 29, 2007 - 10:00 AM

I agree, I have talked to the guys at BD and have nothing but good things to say about them and there support. If only all companies could be this way.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.