Newer Style IMS Tank

23 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted March 31, 2007 - 07:11 AM

I talked with a local dealer and he called tucker Rocky. They say you do need to change the Shrouds on the WR's . The two bikes are very close. I cant figure out why these manufatures dont make a WR specific sinse most guys that buy WR's are the trail riders and need the fuel compacity. I cant figure out why Yamaha doesnt dell the dikes with bigger tanks anyway.

Why does Yamaha insist on making two similar bikes with different shrouds? If companies like IMS and CLARKE can make a tank that uses YZ shrouds than so should Yamaha when they design our WR tanks... I'm pissed! I don't how many shrouds I will replace on my 07' but on my 04' I was always ripping shrouds off - go to the shop and there would be 5 sets of YZ shrouds hanging there but apparently it did not make good sense to stock WR shrouds... I looked last night at the shop and there are YZ shrouds hanging up but not a set for WR... It's racism I tell ya!:bonk:

• Randy Nilles

Posted April 09, 2007 - 05:29 PM

I put on the IMS tank today. I didnt think it was that great of a fit . The YZ shrouds didnt line up exactly:censored: . After a little tugging they finaly did. Also I bought a YZ seat to get rid of the gap at the tank. The YZ seats are totally diferent than the WR...imangine that:banghead:. Thats my two cents...actually closer to 400 dollars.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1BLUEsky

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:39 PM

I have the 3.4 tank with the left hand petcock and the cross over tube on an 03 WR 450.I had to do slightly elongate one or two of the bolt holes and gently bend one of the braces but I made my tough Unabiker rad. guards work perfectly.I believe you can order them especially for this combo directly.The early Works braces are not stout enough IMO and You should plan on leaving the IMS tank on as it carries the fuel lower and You dont have to top it off if your doing a short ride anyway!Good luck I love mine.

• MxnDoc

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:44 PM

I put on the IMS tank today. I didnt think it was that great of a fit . The YZ shrouds didnt line up exactly:censored: . After a little tugging they finaly did. Also I bought a YZ seat to get rid of the gap at the tank. The YZ seats are totally diferent than the WR...imangine that:banghead:. Thats my two cents...actually closer to 400 dollars.:thumbsup:

Yes, but the YZ seats are made for a 30 minute moto, whereas, the WR seat is made to sit on for all day rides. BTW the Flatland radiator guards work great with the IMS tank. Also FYI I looked at my receipt from IMS the other day and the tank is indeed a 3.4 gallon tank. Just my 2 cents.
Doc

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.