Newer Style IMS Tank

23 replies to this topic
  • MxnDoc

Posted March 23, 2007 - 03:21 PM

Fellow TTer's has anyone recently upgraded to the new style IMS tank for the WR/YZ 250-450 3.4 gal. for 2003 to 2005 years? This is the newer tank style with the petcock/ fuel delivery valve on the LEFT SIDE ONLY, with no fuel line cross over from the right side. I'm having trouble finding:banghead: which manufacturers radiator braces will work with this new style tank:confused: . My current Works Connection radiator braces would have to be extensively modified to fit with this new tank. Since I will be using this new tank occasionally for long rides in Baja and swithing back to the original tank for normal riding I don't want to destroy :eek: my current braces/ supports. Any help would be appreciated!:applause: Bike is "03 WR450

• TWILES

Posted March 23, 2007 - 05:59 PM

I didn't know they made one. I just went to their site and they are still showing the 3.1. Where could you see one?

• MxnDoc

Posted March 24, 2007 - 10:52 AM

I bought it thinking it was the other style with two petcocks and then got home and found out it was the newer style with only one on the left side. I have a call into IMS and expect a response on Monday. Any help would be appreciated.

• Tbone81

Posted March 24, 2007 - 01:11 PM

Wow, I was just looking for this. I just installed my 3.4 IMS tank today and found the exact same thing. I was wondering if rooster guards, or some other full coverage radiator guard would work. The works connection braces are OK but I would like to upgrade to something beefier.

• MxnDoc

Posted March 25, 2007 - 03:45 PM

Tbone81 if you come up with some braces that work with this tank could you let me know?
MxnDoc

• Tbone81

Posted March 25, 2007 - 05:21 PM

Tbone81 if you come up with some braces that work with this tank could you let me know?
MxnDoc

Will do.

• Randy Nilles

Posted March 26, 2007 - 08:07 PM

Do you still need to change over the to the YZ scrouds on the 2.8 gallon IMS on the 2007 bikes? The Rocky Mountain web site doesnt say if you do.

• Randy Nilles

Posted March 26, 2007 - 08:15 PM

Do you still need to change over the to the YZ scrouds on the 2.8 gallon IMS on the 2007 bikes? The Rocky Mountain web site doesnt say if you do.

Sorry I ment 3.1 Gallon tank

• TWILES

Posted March 27, 2007 - 09:17 AM

I'd still like to see the 3.4.

• MxnDoc

Posted March 27, 2007 - 03:22 PM

Actually the tank is quoted as a 3.1 Gal. from IMS, however, with the variability they say during casting of the tank mine is a 3.4 from bone dry to full at the cap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OzMatt

Posted March 28, 2007 - 02:13 AM

Sorry I ment 3.1 Gallon tank

Yes you will need the YZ shrouds.
My 3.1g IMS actually holds 3.25g
Is a good fit too.

• Matt James

Posted March 28, 2007 - 01:52 PM

Yes you will need the YZ shrouds.
My 3.1g IMS actually holds 3.25g
Is a good fit too.

Can you post pics?

• Seabass

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:11 PM

What prevents the installation of the IMS tank with the Works Connection braces? I is confused:confused:

• MxnDoc

Posted March 28, 2007 - 08:02 PM

The increased capacity and design of the IMS tank allows only the left Works Connection radiator brace to work with minor mods. The right side tank frame bolt is almost completely enclosed by the plastic of the tank, so getting the brace to attach/anchor there is not possible without complete destruction of the Works brace. Anyone got any great ideas? I'm leaving for a Baja 400 mile trip in about three weeks and would like to have a brace in place!

• TheCure

Posted March 29, 2007 - 08:55 AM

I have the new IMS tank, 3.3 gallon.

http://smg.photobuck...otorcycle Pics/

My bike is a 2006 WR, you DO NOT need new radiator shrouds. I can say the shrouds on this bike are EXACTLY the same as the 2003 YZ shrouds as I have both with different graphics.

Anyhow, it fits nice, looks nice but I noticed the bottom portion vibrates like a mofo when idling. I hope it doesn't crack.

• Randy Nilles

Posted March 29, 2007 - 02:48 PM

I talked with a local dealer and he called tucker Rocky. They say you do need to change the Shrouds on the WR's . The two bikes are very close. I cant figure out why these manufatures dont make a WR specific sinse most guys that buy WR's are the trail riders and need the fuel compacity. I cant figure out why Yamaha doesnt dell the dikes with bigger tanks anyway.

• Matt James

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:20 PM

This thread is getting confusing because no one is saying what year there bike is. Has anyone used these tanks on a 07 WR450? From the tank picture shown in this thread, 06 & 07 YZ shrouds will not fit the tank. Aluminum frame models (07 WR & 06 & 07 YZ's) shouds are different than the steel frame shrouds. Please, does anyone have any pictures of a tank on a 2007 model? The only way I see to make it fit is to buy steel frame shrouds.

• Looks450

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:07 PM

Please, does anyone have any pictures of a tank on a 2007 model? The

http://www.thumperta...hlight=ims tank

This thread should apease you.

Looks

• Matt James

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:54 PM

Thanks Looks450, thats what I wanted to see.

• Randy Nilles

Posted March 31, 2007 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for the post. Exept the seat thing, it looks like a nice fit for the '07.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.