wheel bearing removal

2 replies to this topic
  • xr650l bum

Posted March 23, 2007 - 02:53 PM

I was wondering if there is a video, or good manual on how to remove and replace the wheel bearings front and back on a 650l? When replacing the bearings, do the seals get reused, or buy new ones as well? I know to get a tool for the retainer on the rear. I know to get a bearing puller tool to get the bearings. That should get the rear done, correct? What special tools will be required for the front besides the bearing puller?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted March 23, 2007 - 03:36 PM

I've never had to use the "special" bearing removal tool. So far I have always been able to just use a punch or a rod. However, it is possible for the spacer to be so tight that the rod or punch can't get a bite on the bearing. I consider the special tool for the retainer is a must. I made my own, but there is a great tool from Motion Pro that is only $20 or so. The retainer can usually be removed with a punch, but that does damage to the little holes. No other special tools are required for the front. As far as seals go it is always best to replace them, but they can be reused if in good shape and not damaged during removal.

• MortimerSickle

Posted March 24, 2007 - 11:28 AM

This thread may help.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.