Steering head bearings

8 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 22, 2007 - 07:33 PM

I have a 06 yz450f with 19 hours on it and was going to repack the steering head bearings and was wondering if it is hard to do and where to find info on how to do it.

• yami racer

Posted March 23, 2007 - 04:51 AM

Go to Transworld and you will find many an article on how to do it......
http://www.transworl...1206466,00.html

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 23, 2007 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for the info> much appreciated!

• Reyndogg

Posted March 23, 2007 - 06:50 AM

You'll be surprised how nasty they are I bet... i do mine every 15hrs. It's really not too hard to do. I follow the twmx article, too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tnl

Posted March 23, 2007 - 08:07 PM

When I did mine recently (an 05)the bottom bearing was pressed on and did not come off until I damaged it enough to where I needed another one. $20 plus parts and the dealer pressed a new one on for me. Dont be surprised if your's is on for good too. Next time I'll just flush and clean it while it's still on.

• yama02yz250f

Posted March 23, 2007 - 09:27 PM

how long can i expect this to take if i m doing it for the first time?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 24, 2007 - 05:05 AM

I'll let you know sometime today when I do mine>Its my first time to.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 24, 2007 - 01:34 PM

Got my steering stem bearings repacked. allthough the bottom bearing was really on the bottom part of the stem so I did not take it off I just took some more grease and more grease and more grease until I had it all worked in and placed it all back on.......Took me about 2 hours taking every thing off and repacking the bearings.

• Racer24

Posted March 24, 2007 - 07:09 PM

u dnt really need to take off the caliper and wheel..i just follow the TWMX article..but just pull our the tubes together..that way i dnt have to take off the wheel and caliper and worry about lining up the forks...

i have to agree its not that hard to do..i inspect and grease the wheel,linkage, and headstem bearings every season

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.