Pro Moto Billet Rack?

16 replies to this topic
  • MxnDoc

Posted March 22, 2007 - 09:10 AM

Anybody have experience with the PMB rack on a WR:prof:? I'm heading to Baja in a month on a 300 to 400 mile ride, and carrying all my equipment with me (no chase vehicle). I wanted to use the rack to hold personals and bike equipment. Thanks for any input you may have

• irondawg

Posted March 22, 2007 - 10:58 AM

I've got a PMB on my bike. Have done many self supporting d/s rides thru Big Bend/West Texas rides and a 9 day ride down in Mexico thru Copper Canyon to the sea. The rack is very good.

I don't recommend using loctite on the seat bolts but it's definitely needed on the sub-frame bolts. I went a step further and swapped out the sub-frame bolts with grade 8 bolts that went all the way thru the frame and rack and then added an extra nut so the bolt doesn't loosen and fall out. It will happen.

I strapped a small Wolfman Expedition bag and a sleeping bag to the bike. Didn't have one problem. Here's a pict of my bike somewhere south of Copper Canon...

Posted Image

• MxnDoc

Posted March 22, 2007 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the pic. Looks like I'm in for the purchase. BTW how much weight have you had on it? How much did it affect the rear suspension? Did you have to reset your spring sag?
Thanks for the pic and words of endorsment!

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted March 23, 2007 - 06:09 AM

I too have the PMB rack on my 03 WR 450. I use it mostly with the PMB chainsaw carrier. I also built a box for saw gas, saw chain oil, a hatchet, 2 falling wedges, spare saw chain. file and all the other stuff needed for trail maintainence. I am probably packing an extra 20 pounds of stuff with no ill effects to the bike. I have never had an issue with ANY PMB product. They are all top quality and well thought out and constructed.
I didn't do anything with the sag, I just ride it.:applause:
Jim

• spick

Posted March 23, 2007 - 09:35 AM

How about installation? Does the rack mount using existing bolt holes on the bike/subframe?

Thanks.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted March 23, 2007 - 01:44 PM

Yes. The rack mounts to the seat bolt holes on the upper side and down below to the sub frame. New, longer bolts and all related hardware are included when you take delivery of your new rack. Also very detailed instructions.
Jim

• spidennis

Posted March 23, 2007 - 03:45 PM

I too have the PMB rack on my 03 WR 450. I use it mostly with the PMB chainsaw carrier. I also built a box for saw gas, saw chain oil, a hatchet, 2 falling wedges, spare saw chain. file and all the other stuff needed for trail maintainence. I am probably packing an extra 20 pounds of stuff with no ill effects to the bike. I have never had an issue with ANY PMB product. They are all top quality and well thought out and constructed.
I didn't do anything with the sag, I just ride it.:applause:
Jim

wow! got any pics of your bike all loaded up for bear? forget those kids with "look, see how pretty my bike is!), this and irondawg's setup .... beautifull!

• justanotherider

Posted March 23, 2007 - 07:21 PM

I love my PMB rack. It was simple to mount, is sturdy as all get out, and you can hook bungy cords to it in a million different configurations. I use it to carry my brief case to work, (I put a street lighting kit on the bike) and to carry extra gas when doing long rides in the mountains. The only critique I have is that is felt a tad expensive to buy; but it sure works great.:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondawg

Posted March 26, 2007 - 11:45 AM

To answer questions:

Weight: Lots...figure about 20+lbs. plus I'd strap my jacket and extra gear when it got hot. The temps went from 18 to 80F. The trick is to set the Wolfman half on the seat and half on the rack. Load heavy stuff on bottom.

Mounting: Like I said, I replaced the subframe bolts with grade 8 bolts that went all the way thru the rack and put nuts on...basically belt and suspenders setup. Another little extra was a put a bolt with 1 inch spacer on the upper chain wheel and used that to secure the straps that go forward. The straps are supposed to loop thru the passenger pegs...since there's none on the WR I looped the strap around the subframe and the bolt.

Suspension: Yep. Had to add another ~10mm on the rear collar. Bike felt harsher but did not pogo.

I've also got a Wolfman Carry-All on the front numberplate. This thing rocks!! Easy to get too stuff and you barely know it's there. Far better than a tank bag since it's out of the way.

One of these days I've gotta take pics of my mods for all to see. My bike is setup for what my riding buds call extreme dualsporting. I call it more like self sufficient rally riding.

Spidennis: thanks for the compliment!!

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted March 26, 2007 - 02:50 PM

Spidennis,
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of my bike as I am computer illiterate :naughty: and have no digital camera and no knowledge of how to post pictures. :D I wish that I could because I'm proud of my ole scooter and I really would love to show off how it looks.:bonk: Maybe some day!!!!!!!:bonk:
Jim

• johnnyjeep

Posted March 26, 2007 - 08:45 PM

I like mine. I too thought it was a bit pricey, and having to drill out exsisting threaded holes scared me, but I am happy with it. I even emailed them to ask how much weight I could put on it, and was told to just use common sense ( I wasnt worried about the rack, I was worried about the sub frame). These pics arent the best, but you can see the rack.

http://i114.photobuc...ep/60723001.jpg
http://i114.photobuc...ep/60723002.jpg
http://i114.photobuc...ep/wr450001.jpg
John in Vegas

• MxnDoc

Posted March 27, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the pics and comments! Called PMB and they indicated that 15 to 18 lbs. was max for the rack and frame (although some have said here they have put on more). Furthermore, I was advised to reset the SAG once I had the fully loaded rack and riding gear on.
Doc

• ncampion

Posted March 27, 2007 - 06:39 PM

How do you get your leg over that pack???? Several years ago,(like 12) I did a San Diego to Cabo and back ride on an XR600 with a rack and pack like you show. Great time and great ride. Sure had a sore butt when we got back.

• MxnDoc

Posted March 28, 2007 - 08:14 PM

Just put the rack on today was a "piece of cake", looks very durable too! Every thing you need comes with it, need to cut a little bit of the plastic on the left rear fender which is no biggie. After my Baja trip I will post any durability issues I had with it.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:07 AM

When I have all my trail clearing tools etc. on my bike. I leave the kickstand down, step up onto the left peg and step across the seat with my right leg, then put both feet on the ground, raise the kickstand and off I go. I learned this from a 70 year old rider with a bum hip. Works great.:bonk:
Jim

• wrider

Posted March 29, 2007 - 10:05 AM

has anyone tried these? they seem to tie into the main frame so they could probably handle a larger load. I have one ordered, liked the owner a lot. He is sending it and said "send me a check when it arrives". sheesh.

• spidennis

Posted March 29, 2007 - 10:41 AM

has anyone tried these? they seem to tie into the main frame so they could probably handle a larger load. I have one ordered, liked the owner a lot. He is sending it and said "send me a check when it arrives". sheesh.

I'm gonna get one too (it's on the list) .... the guy is pretty easy going .... makes these racks to pack out elk quarters from the backcountry ..... looks strong ..... now it it had some soft saddlebag braces .....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.