08 XR or CRF?

7 replies to this topic
  • dezracerE

Posted March 22, 2007 - 07:00 AM

Anyone know anything on the 08's???
I want (need!) a new bike.
Before I throw down for a 450x, I am waiting for any news on a possible CRF600/650.
Honda is always good at keeping secrets- I will probably have to wait until the Nevada 500 or Baja 1000 for some top secret project to be revealed.
Someone- PLEASE leak some news...:applause:

• huntmaster

Posted March 22, 2007 - 07:41 AM

Someone- PLEASE leak some news..

The "news" is that Honda is deterermined to market the 450X as a 650R replacement...although they are really different categories of machine.
A rumoured CRF600 seems to be a pipe dream I think...at least for now.:applause:

• Triumphs

Posted March 23, 2007 - 11:47 AM

Anyone know anything on the 08's???
I want (need!) a new bike.
Before I throw down for a 450x, I am waiting for any news on a possible CRF600/650.

Don't hold your breath waiting! I held onto my 650R as long as I could but broke down and got a new WR450. Very hard for a long time Honda guy to do. I don't trust the 450X and from what I've seen and heard the Yamaha seems to be the most "XR-like" when it comes to durability and reliability in the current "racing fourstoke" crowd....but equally competitive. We'll see. Get what you like though. :applause:

• rebelventurer

Posted March 23, 2007 - 11:52 AM

I would have to agree that the wr450 is a better choice than the crf450x!
Though I think the xr motor will be going the way of the dinosuars, best bet would be to get one or two now while you still can, will last you at least the next decade.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dezracerE

Posted March 23, 2007 - 11:53 AM

I think if there is no news after the 1000 I will get a 450x.
Gotta stick with Honda for the pit support and race spares on the long races.

• TheCure

Posted March 23, 2007 - 01:16 PM

Though I think the xr motor will be going the way of the dinosuars, best bet would be to get one or two now while you still can, will last you at least the next decade.

i'm another dual bike guy.

93 XR600, 06 WR450. I love both bikes. but I want another NEW XR.:applause:

• cleonard

Posted March 23, 2007 - 01:16 PM

I agree too. The WR has an oil system very much like our XR's. The WR has two oil pumps. One to scavange the crankcase and pump it to the frame tube oil tank. A second to pump from the tank to the engine parts that need oil. The transmission is pressure lubricated unlike the CRF which is just splash lubed. I think that the lack of the pressure system to the transmission is the real root cause of the high speed transmission lockups that some of the 450X's have had. The CRF "fix" is to overfill the trans, but I would rather have an oil pump sending oil like the WR.

• JKL

Posted March 23, 2007 - 04:31 PM

I am getting a KTM 525 EXC to go with my XR650R.

When a new Honda comes out it will be a while before the bugs are worked out and it has to prove itself over time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.