06 YZ450F oil cooler??

10 replies to this topic
  • Justin Pearson

Posted March 21, 2007 - 11:27 PM

I was thinking of running a small oil cooler on my bike and noticed how easy it would be using the external oil return line on the lower right side of the motor.

Anyone else running a cooler??

Any reason the return line would be a bad idea??

The extra capacity alone would also be nice!! :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2007 - 08:17 AM

The return line would be the best place for it, but the external line on the right of the engine is NOT an oil line, it's a vent to balance air pressure in the crankcase with the oil tank. The feed and return circuits are internal on the '06+ models.

Read through this:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=476876

• tahoeacr

Posted March 22, 2007 - 10:31 AM

Anybody actually know what temperature the oil runs?

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2007 - 11:07 AM

I don't know what either of mine get up to, but I'll check it if I think of it this weekend.

Oil does need to be at least 160 degrees or so in order to circulate well, and for the chemical processes, such as those that keep the acidity down and the fuel evaporated, can work properly. letting it go beyond 300 is usually not a good idea (this varies with individual oils).

• tahoeacr

Posted March 22, 2007 - 01:16 PM

I don't know what either of mine get up to, but I'll check it if I think of it this weekend.

Oil does need to be at least 160 degrees or so in order to circulate well, and for the chemical processes, such as those that keep the acidity down and the fuel evaporated, can work properly. letting it go beyond 300 is usually not a good idea (this varies with individual oils).

How you checking your oil temp? My Raytek will never fit.

All of my oil thermastats are set between 163 and 168 before opening and the oil usually runs about 200 under load. I highly doubt that I get my bike oil over 225.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2007 - 01:43 PM

Ever try a meat thermometer? (Don't tell Mama :applause: )

• tahoeacr

Posted March 22, 2007 - 02:15 PM

Ever try a meat thermometer? (Don't tell Mama :eek: )

Tell her, heck I just called her and told her to caugh up the old one(she wouldn't). It was worth a try since I just bought her one of those remote radio types. :applause: mount receiver on bar pad, instant oil temp gauge while I'm :lol: get home and :lol: Oh well, of to Wallyworld.

• Justin Pearson

Posted March 22, 2007 - 09:44 PM

A "G" seems a bit "proud" to me for a pair of rads and an oil cover. My worries with a setup like theirs is oil starvation after an oil change. All that hose and the fact it goes up quite high above the oil tank worries me.

I was thinking of a small XR style (or quad) oil cooler level with the tank and in front under the rads. Minimal heigth and plumbing. I wonder if just an aluminum tube coil would help enough, it would be pretty durable!!

I guess you could just kick the snot out of the bike while holding the kill to prime the system... :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2007 - 09:54 PM

It shouldn't be on the feed side, anyway. A CRF has no other option, since it has no return circuit.

http://www.thumperta...429#post4446429

• Justin Pearson

Posted March 22, 2007 - 10:07 PM

It shouldn't be on the feed side, anyway. A CRF has no other option, since it has no return circuit.

http://www.thumperta...429#post4446429

Did someone say to put it on the feed side??

Better to cool the oil after it has been adiabatically heated rather then before...

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2007 - 10:55 PM

The CRF system linked in the other thread connects to the feed. That shouldn't surprise anyone, since it's a wet sump. Likewise, virtually all automotive oil coolers are, of necessity, on the feed circuit, simply because that's the only pressurized circuit there is in those cases. The return side is a better choice because it's a low pressure circuit, and you can run the full flow of the circuit through the cooler. On the feed side, the cooler must either be able to carry full system oil pressure, or carry only part of the oil by way of an orificed branch circuit.

As far as cooling before or after, there's no difference. Eventually, either one is cooling the oil before it returns to the heat source, and regardless of when you pull 5 BTU out of the oil, it's still gone.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.