Greasing the swingarm bearings?

8 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 21, 2007 - 08:56 PM

Iam going to grease the a-arm linkage bearings and swingarm bearings on my 06 yz450f tomorrow and was wondering if I needed to pull the race and all out to clean them or if I could just put the waterproof grease in with out having to press the races out?

• yama02yz250f

Posted March 21, 2007 - 09:58 PM

I dont know the answer to your question but I just did the ones on my dad 426 along with his linkage and it sure made a huge difference. I just cleaned out the bearing from the old grease, made sure they operated fine, and packed em full of new grease.

• witdogg

Posted March 21, 2007 - 10:29 PM

You dont need to get them pressed out. If the bearing are still good just grease them up, they will be fine. A lot of times when you get them pressed out they break and you have to buy new ones then.

• PAdaytonaman

Posted March 22, 2007 - 04:53 AM

If this is a yearly maintenance for you then I would pull out all the needles and inspect them before you repack them. Meny times if you are someone who rides in alot of water and mud and then uses a pressure washer to clean the bike, you will get blowby past the oil seals and those needles will rust,corrode. A set of bearings for the linkage is relatively cheap and if you have the bike apart already, it only makes sense.

Don't use bel ray waterproof grease, use a good synthetic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 22, 2007 - 05:14 AM

Thanks fella'S

• yami racer

Posted March 22, 2007 - 05:19 AM

Be sure to pull the needles and inspect the races as when I did mine there was a chip in the race that caused the needle bearings to slide back and forth....Its quick and easy so just be sure to do it.

• Yamahafan

Posted March 22, 2007 - 05:33 AM

Don't use bel ray waterproof grease, use a good synthetic.

Huh? Why do you say that? I have been using Bel-Ray waterproof grease for 4 years without problem.

I would also add: I use a lot of Q-tips and a rag to clean the old grease out of the bearings before putting the new grease in. Do NOT spray solvent into the bearings unless you take them out. It is almost impossible to get all the solvent out and it may affect the performance of the new grease.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 22, 2007 - 06:35 AM

Huh? Why do you say that? I have been using Bel-Ray waterproof grease for 4 years without problem.

I would also add: I use a lot of Q-tips and a rag to clean the old grease out of the bearings before putting the new grease in. Do NOT spray solvent into the bearings unless you take them out. It is almost impossible to get all the solvent out and it may affect the performance of the new grease.

Belray is ok - I think there is better grease out there like Amsoil Syth waterproof grease. Since this is not a fun project - I want to use grease that does not breakdown as quickly as Belray

• Wyatt

Posted March 22, 2007 - 02:04 PM

I love Amsoil products, but I have little faith in the Amsoil waterproof grease. It seems to be contaminated much more quickly in headset and linkage bearings than the maxima grease that I am using now. It is not terrible, but not as good as the maxima.

Pull the needles out of the each bearing one bearing at a time. Clean all of the needles and the races and then install. Count the needles each time to be sure that you do not misplace any. Do one at a time as not to get confused as to which needles go where. Have PLENTY of old rags to wipe up grease. It is a messy project, but not that difficult.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.