YZ 1/4 turn race throttle mod

121 replies to this topic
  • Tha Breeze

Posted December 11, 2009 - 04:57 PM

Okay I originally did this with two zip ties laid on top of each other. I could definitely tell a difference just turning the throttle and was really excited about it. But then I ran into the problem of the cable running off of the zip tie and then after that I ran into the problem of the throttle not returning. So after fixing all of that, which took about 4 hours. I can not tell one bit of difference. But keep in mind I have turned the throttle about 1,000 times tonight. So... I will just have to compare it to my friends bike next time I see him.

• Mbiker_101

Posted December 11, 2009 - 05:20 PM

Breeze, i would not recommend using zipties because they are not very stable and are not very thick. Seems like a safety issue to me, just get a piece of PVC and epoxy the pvc on the tube.

Edited by Mbiker_101, December 11, 2009 - 05:37 PM.

• Tha Breeze

Posted December 11, 2009 - 05:22 PM

What I ended up doing was using this thick rubber I had lying around.

• SkyHarborCowboy

Posted March 29, 2010 - 07:00 AM

I did this in 1979 on my XR185!

I cant find the article now but one of the magazines did a story on how to hold your throttle and that too makes all of the difference in the world!

Basically, it said that if you hold the throttle like a door handle you can get more twist out of your hand then if you held the grip square to your hand. If you hold your grip so your knuckles are NOT parallel to the grip you do not havfe to roll your wrist back as much to get full throttle. So try this:

When you grab the throttle, have your index finger knuckle a little closer towards you and the pinky knuckle further away from you in relation to the axis of the grip. You will see how much easier it is to get fully throttle then a parallel grip.

Joe

• alleycat50

Posted August 03, 2010 - 02:46 PM

I like this idea. I watched the tech tips on one of the MX races and they were talking about inserts that go on the throttle tube that do this same thing I haven't been able to find them and suspect that they are expensive. There were a couple of different tapers. The mechanic said they used different ones for different types of track compounds. I am going to try this. Being a smaller rider I find my elbow is almost draging on the ground(maybe not that far feels like it though)when I open the throttle fully.
Thanks for the tip!

• djsather

Posted August 04, 2010 - 05:28 AM

I like this idea. I watched the tech tips on one of the MX races and they were talking about inserts that go on the throttle tube that do this same thing I haven't been able to find them and suspect that they are expensive. There were a couple of different tapers. The mechanic said they used different ones for different types of track compounds. I am going to try this. Being a smaller rider I find my elbow is almost draging on the ground(maybe not that far feels like it though)when I open the throttle fully.
Thanks for the tip!

I think this is what you are referring to:
http://www.motionpro...ha/YZ_450F/all/

• CaptainKnobby

Posted August 04, 2010 - 12:29 PM

Ive been aiming to do this mod to my 2010 450 but havent got around to it yet.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted August 24, 2010 - 04:38 AM

I went ahead and bought a Quick Turn throttle from G2Ergonomics. The throttle tube was that new Delrin throttle (has that plastic insert inside the tube so you dont have to grease the handle bar).

The cam that was with it was 10% bigger than stock. I did tell a little difference with it but not a huge difference. I didnt have to grind those two tabs down in the throttle housing which was a plus.

If I had to do it all over again I would have just done it the way I done my 06 which was made my own cam to go on the stock tube. However I would have had to ground those two tabs inside the throttle housing down. Which was the reason that I didnt make my own and just bought the G2 one.

Now that I have this new tube I wont have to make my own cams now but would like to have it at a little quicker rotation. I may buy the .050 cam which is bigger than the .010 that is on it right now but I believe with the .050 I will have to grind the tabs down in order for the came to be able to turn inside the throttle housing.

Over all! if anyone is going to do this mod........Save your money and just do it yourself with the stock tube and some PVC and JB weld.

• sleepysteve09

Posted August 29, 2010 - 01:38 PM

This is possibly the best thread I’ve ever read on thumper talk.
Just finished doing this to my 09 RMZ250 throttle. Only took one lap to get used to it yesterday

• Ridon

Posted October 29, 2010 - 12:07 PM

adjust the cable tension to the loosest setting on the carb. Note if you don't do this before you install the assemble you will have a really difficult time adjusting the throttle play.

Which one of the two cables should i adjust? the one on the top or the one below? Silly question but i have never adjusted the free play again, some guidance whould be really helpfull...:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • writebrian

Posted November 09, 2010 - 10:31 PM

I did this in 1979 on my XR185!

I cant find the article now but one of the magazines did a story on how to hold your throttle and that too makes all of the difference in the world!

Basically, it said that if you hold the throttle like a door handle you can get more twist out of your hand then if you held the grip square to your hand. If you hold your grip so your knuckles are NOT parallel to the grip you do not havfe to roll your wrist back as much to get full throttle. So try this:

When you grab the throttle, have your index finger knuckle a little closer towards you and the pinky knuckle further away from you in relation to the axis of the grip. You will see how much easier it is to get fully throttle then a parallel grip.

Joe

Anyone know this article. i'm having trouble visualizing what's being described. I already have an aluminum 1/4 turn though.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 10, 2010 - 05:00 AM

He means!.... "instead of gripping the throttle normal", (like the most of us do). You bring your hand from the side and grip the throttle,if ya know what I mean.

In other words,your hand is not just sitting flat on the throttle(in a normal grip) Its like you are gripping the throttle from the back side of the grip.

Picture this: Say you have a chopper with those handlebars that go way up and then curve back to you and the grips are actually downward.

Anyways!... all you're doing is holding your hand on the throttle in a different manner other than normal to get a more WOT position. This may be true but you will loose some gripping in the process. You will not be able to hold on as good.

Somebody else try to explain it.:p

• lucati

Posted February 01, 2014 - 04:18 PM

what a great diy write up.  i may try this mod

Edited by lucati, February 01, 2014 - 05:09 PM.

• 2003kx250-237

Posted February 01, 2014 - 04:27 PM

This sounds like a tasteful mod for a hillclimber and also because im getting carpal tunnel in my right wrist..

• twindaddy

Posted March 13, 2014 - 05:50 PM

This is awesome! I need a new throttle tube anyway.

• spaceboy

Posted July 27, 2015 - 07:58 AM

I know this is a old thread but for those who are new to wanting to try this, just a slight correction in that its pvc pipe used to increase the diameter, not a pvc coupler. A coupler will always be too big or too small for what you want to do here. I just went to my local ACE hardware and found the correct size I needed in their scrap bin which they ended up just giving me.

For those who don't want to go through the trouble of modifying a throttle tube, you may find a OEM throttle tube from another bike would fit your bike and already have a larger diameter giving you a 1/4 turn throttle just by simply swapping the tube. I know in the past with my street bikes the R6 throttle tube was used by many people as a drop in replacement for many other bikes (my Suzuki GSXR 1000 included).

So I'm interested in trying this out now on my dirt bike because of ligament damage in my right wrist and having a reduction in total movement in that wrist with my new ligament. :thumbsup:  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150727_075522.jpg
  • 20150727_080333.jpg
  • 20150727_075427.jpg
  • 20150727_075358.jpg

• Mbiker_101

Posted August 24, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Thanks spaceboy, glad to see this thread is still usefull.

• DIrtBikerrr

Posted August 25, 2015 - 11:08 PM

Great work!  :thumbsup: thanks for sharing this to us

• tmeyer37

Posted October 30, 2015 - 07:09 AM

Has anyone done this with the ODI lock on grips, they replace the throttle tube with a grip/throttle tube combo and the cam snaps on the end. 

• Riku Koskenranta

Posted June 22, 2016 - 01:19 AM

I know this is a old thread but for those who are new to wanting to try this, just a slight correction in that its pvc pipe used to increase the diameter, not a pvc coupler. A coupler will always be too big or too small for what you want to do here. I just went to my local ACE hardware and found the correct size I needed in their scrap bin which they ended up just giving me.

For those who don't want to go through the trouble of modifying a throttle tube, you may find a OEM throttle tube from another bike would fit your bike and already have a larger diameter giving you a 1/4 turn throttle just by simply swapping the tube. I know in the past with my street bikes the R6 throttle tube was used by many people as a drop in replacement for many other bikes (my Suzuki GSXR 1000 included).

So I'm interested in trying this out now on my dirt bike because of ligament damage in my right wrist and having a reduction in total movement in that wrist with my new ligament. :thumbsup:  

Hello!

Could you give me more accurate information abaut R6 throttle tube, perhaps oem part number?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.