YZ 1/4 turn race throttle mod

121 replies to this topic
  • gdbarr1976

Posted April 17, 2007 - 07:55 PM

I am a east coast woods racer. I am going to give it try. Nice write up.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 17, 2007 - 08:03 PM

Why cant you just loosen the two screws on back of the throttle assembly and turn the whole throttle back...... Wouldnt this serve the same purpose.
Read the last thread on page 4

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2007 - 09:27 PM

You'd have to rotate the throttle the same number of degrees from closed to opened regardless of the position the twist grip assembly sits in. Your approach would have no net effect.

• mj2412

Posted April 17, 2007 - 11:47 PM

Hello, i tried this mod and i think i will love it. First i was a little concerned how long it takes to get used to it, but it takes only minutes. I realized that most of the time i turned my throttle only half the way. The only problem i can see, is that the engine sometimes couldn´t follow when i turned the throttle too fast. Maybe i should go a little bit leaner at my my carburator settings. Now i´m on the opposite side, because as long as the bike runs great i think it couldn´t be wrong for the long time use of the engine.

Thanks for the great input.

Martin

• Racing

Posted April 18, 2007 - 03:05 AM

Think this wil work nice for dune or where there is good traction, but where it is slippery it can be even harder to control. Bought a throttle tube that is shaped so that it works progressive. This worked very well for loose ground or when traction is at a minimum (Flattrack racing). Makes it easy to control. Half twist tubes can be a handful to control. Sorry but this worked better for me even with the motard i currently race. Just twist hard if you want it all!

• Idahox

Posted April 18, 2007 - 07:25 AM

Im nervous to try this but would like the out come of less twist to full throttle. it seems to me that if you shave off the stops in the throttle tube housing then the carb. would become the throttle stop, that cant be a good thing for it. maybe Im wrong about this but maybe someone could shed some light on it for me.

• grayracer513

Posted April 18, 2007 - 10:53 AM

it seems to me that if you shave off the stops in the throttle tube housing then the carb. would become the throttle stop, that cant be a good thing for it.

But the carb already IS the throttle stop.

Nothing within the throttle housing limits the travel in either direction. The grip is stopped on opening by the throttle stop screw, and on closing by the idle stop screw by way of the closing cable.

• Mbiker_101

Posted April 18, 2007 - 07:24 PM

The throttle stop is on the carb like he mentioned, not the throttle tube, those are cables guides that you grind off, the only thing is you don't need the guides, it doesn't touch the guides at all.

Have fun with the mod.:thumbsup:

• Idahox

Posted April 20, 2007 - 07:01 AM

thanks for the answers, I appreciate the fact that you will answer naive questions

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 20, 2007 - 05:46 PM

Will this mod be good for someone who has tore a ligament in their throttle wrist and is unable to bring their right wrist back as far as their left wrst? And if so could you use a smaller pipe than the one used in the pics so the the throttle wouldnt be so touchy?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mbiker_101

Posted April 20, 2007 - 09:00 PM

Captain,

I'm sure it would be great for someone with wrist damage, should help your wrist from getting out of shape.

And if you could find a smaller tube then give it a try and let us know where you find the tube.

• Switch540

Posted April 20, 2007 - 09:19 PM

I am sooo going to try this:D :applause:

• stealman

Posted April 22, 2007 - 10:12 AM

So how many of you that are doing this are smoothing out the first part of the curve for less hit at small throttle openings? Or do most like to leave the curve round?

• TotallyMetal

Posted April 22, 2007 - 07:58 PM

I finally got a chance to get out to the track today to try this throttle mod out and must admit this took some getting used to. I found myself overpowering in jumps. By the end of the day I got used to it. So easy to flick the wrist and it is wide open. I may slope the beginning of the cam to enable the little blips I am used to. Going to hit the trails soon.:applause:

• essex426

Posted April 23, 2007 - 03:55 AM

Will this mod be good for someone who has tore a ligament in their throttle wrist and is unable to bring their right wrist back as far as their left wrst? And if so could you use a smaller pipe than the one used in the pics so the the throttle wouldnt be so touchy?

Dont think you need a smaller dia pipe,i just ran a hacksaw through where the cable goes,then smooth it off.It worked for me but i just wanted to slow the first part of the throttle on a yz 250.
So would think it would work on one that has already been altered for quick action, then it would be slow to start then wide open quicker from say half throttle depending on where you put the saw cut.
For the price of a normal throttle tube it was worth a try.

• BergArabia

Posted April 23, 2007 - 10:10 AM

I hope you don't mind, I put a link to this thread on a Buell forum www.sporttwin.com. It seems the Buell racing crowd are interested in this kind of mod also.
Personally, the YZ has a whole handful of throttle to me without any mods..
Love that bike to bits...

• Mbiker_101

Posted April 23, 2007 - 05:45 PM

TotallyMental, I like the fact that you tried it without smoothing the start, now you know why I smooth the start, the more gradual the roll, the more you smooth, but remember the more you smooth the further you have to twist your wrist.

Once you get used to it you will never go back to a normal thottle. This will be the first thing you change. :applause:

• StPeters21

Posted May 02, 2007 - 11:22 AM

The two tabs are for a throttle stop. I'm assuming they are un-needed??? Or is there a way to get around getting rid of the stops???

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2007 - 11:26 AM

The two tabs are for a throttle stop. I'm assuming they are un-needed??? Or is there a way to get around getting rid of the stops???

You didn't catch this part, I take it?

http://www.thumperta...709#post4649709

• StPeters21

Posted May 02, 2007 - 12:00 PM

nope... I read right over it.... Thanks

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.