Why put maxima 927 oil in a 4stroke gas tank?

42 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 23, 2007 - 07:12 PM

Well if u say adding oil makes it run leaner then what would make it run richer

• xyzracer

Posted March 23, 2007 - 09:49 PM

adding oil to the gas would make the air/gas ratio leaner because the oil would thicken the gas and it would go through the small jet openings in the carb slower, effectively leaning the bike out.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted March 24, 2007 - 07:01 AM

Well if u say adding oil makes it run leaner then what would make it run richer

Less oil or bigger jets.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2007 - 03:49 PM

A few cc in a tankful isn't going to affect the jetting in the least. Forget about it.

• ____Kurt____

Posted March 24, 2007 - 04:26 PM

well i've been reading these threads (oil in gas) and i decided to buy some maxima castrol 927 or whatever it is and they charged me $14 for it (no big deal) and i but 2 teaspoons in my tank and i didn't notice a difference really. it smells a little different but hey, if its helping my motor its worth it. i guess i'll smell my exhaust tomarrow or sumtin lol

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2007 - 08:29 PM

I'm not saying it will help anything to use castor as a top oil. It won't do any harm, either, unless you get carried away with it. If you think you need a top oil there are better choices, such as Marvel.

Using castor for the smell is mostly something that other people will notice more than you.

• berudd

Posted March 29, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Would this richen the fuel enough to justify rejetting or just turning the fuel screw leaner a bit?

No adding oil to the gas would lean it out. You still have the same amount of fuel going through the jets but now some of it is oil so less of it is gasoline. Less gasoline with the same amount of oil is a leaner mixture.

It is a common misconception that increasing oil in premix makes for a richer mixture.

• berudd

Posted March 29, 2007 - 06:21 PM

adding oil to the gas would make the air/gas ratio leaner because the oil would thicken the gas and it would go through the small jet openings in the carb slower, effectively leaning the bike out.

You are right but for the wrong reason.

• Kasjok

Posted March 29, 2007 - 08:06 PM

I am still not so sure why oil in the gasolin useful for my engine. I mean valves are allready been oiled by the engine oiling system and in my opinion oil will just carbonate my valves and that`s not good at all. When it comes to cylinder oiling then again there is oil in the crankcase to do that. And when it comes to smell then I don`t realy care as I am rinding the bike not going to the party with it .

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 29, 2007 - 10:54 PM

Who even came up with the idea of adding oil in the gas for four strokes? And what was the purpose of it?......... Shurly they didnt do it just for the smell did they?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:19 AM

Who even came up with the idea of adding oil in the gas for four strokes? And what was the purpose of it?......... Shurly they didnt do it just for the smell did they?

See post #13 in this thread. Answered already, again. And yes, some people these days do it just for the smell.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 30, 2007 - 08:53 AM

I see now! Maybe when I want my buddys to smell my exaust Ill put a little castor in and listen at them say ( Man you can smell that racing fuel he's got in)... Thanks everyone for yalls input on this subject a lot of information was covered throughly.

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 30, 2007 - 12:10 PM

you boys need to do some searching for a post from Tryce (ffrracing) about using MMO and how it helped with his dirttrack yzf motors. the boy has been roundy-round enough to listen to. if you understand, all the better. :bonk: :naughty:

Searched user ffrracing and came up nothing...

http://www.thumperta...ry oil benefits

However, looking at that thread, Eddie claimed that you want no oil above the rings..... I'll call BS on that one...

You don't want lubrication above the rings ever??? What about a diesel motor? Diesel fuel is basically an oil. What about 2-strokes? They are having oil sloshed around on the top end as well! That's part of a reason that the Diesel motors last so long for the cylinders. They have a oil being injected in the top end rather than a solvent which would wash away the oil...

It hasn't caused a problem in the two bikes that I have owned. The first bike the valves kept getting closer and closer. From teh moment I put MMO in, they haven't moved. Coincidence? Maybe. But even if it was coincidence, it's nice having a way to fight fuel breakdown suring storage (especially since I ride so little these days)

-Philly

• Regalman

Posted March 30, 2007 - 12:18 PM

Eddie claimed that you want no oil above the rings..... I'll call BS on that one...

You don't want lubrication above the rings ever??? What about a diesel motor? Diesel fuel is basically an oil. What about 2-strokes?

You're taking what Eddie said out of context... when he said that he was reffering to a 4 stroke gasoline engine. Not a diesel or a two stroke. Its quite OBVIOUS that a two stroke has oil above the rings.

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 30, 2007 - 12:20 PM

You're taking what Eddie said out of context... when he said that he was reffering to a 4 stroke gasoline engine. Not a diesel or a two stroke. Its quite OBVIOUS that a two stroke has oil above the rings.

A diesel is a 4-stroke motor without a spark plug...

• Ga426owner

Posted March 30, 2007 - 12:26 PM

I am still not so sure why oil in the gasolin useful for my engine. I mean valves are allready been oiled by the engine oiling system and in my opinion oil will just carbonate my valves and that`s not good at all. When it comes to cylinder oiling then again there is oil in the crankcase to do that. And when it comes to smell then I don`t realy care as I am rinding the bike not going to the party with it .

I also agree and see no value to this.......unless you let your bike sit for long periods of time ...then and only then I would use Marval Mystery Oil as a fogging oil for the motor and to keep any fuel from going south .....

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2007 - 01:38 PM

Searched user ffrracing and came up nothing...

FFRacing

A diesel is a 4-stroke motor without a spark plug...

All of the big ones are two-strokes without spark plugs.

Like it or not, oil gets above the rings. In a four stroke running castor as a lubricant, you can smell it in the exhaust; how did it get there? Past the rings and valve guides. The amount that is necessary for the oil to be noticeable in this way is fantastically small. In order to burn a pint of oil in 500 miles, today's typical 450 would need to have no more than one 900th of a drop of oil in the combustion chamber at each power stroke. If you ever watch motor racing of most any kind, you'll see several instances of a little puff of smoke as the driver comes back on the throttle after deceleration. That's oil. A healthy YZ450 will use almost none. When you think about what that means in these terms, that's really pretty remarkable.

I also agree and see no value to this.......unless you let your bike sit for long periods of time ...then and only then I would use Marval Mystery Oil as a fogging oil for the motor and to keep any fuel from going south .....

Once again, it's an issue of upper cylinder lubrication. Because of the aforementioned efficiency of modern four stroke rings and valve sealing, there is virtually nothing in the upper cylinder to lube the valve stems, compression rings, and piston except gasoline. As I also said, for the vast majority of people who use pump fuels, there is no need for a top oil, since the fuel is formulated with this need in mind, and the fuel has elements added to it to address this. Some racing fuels don't, and in those cases, a top oil is advisable. And, also again, the prescribed amount of top oil is a ratio of 200-350:1 and upward. If it smokes at all as a result of adding the oil, you're using way too much.

• flintlock28

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:13 PM

All this talk of Castor oil, makes me think of World War I. The Biplanes used castor oil in their engines, and the Pilot's suffered from Diahrrea from inhaling the fumes. Off-topic, but funny.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 30, 2007 - 06:39 PM

Well I just went and got some maxima 927 castor and put a bottle cap full in 5gal fuel. Iam just going to do this every once in a while just for the sake of the valves and to give off a little smell. Everyone ort to try this and let every one smell the aroma of the fine castor smell> And heck what is 1 cap full to 5 gal of gas going to hurt. Try it and you will be hooked on the smell of castor!

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 30, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Who friggin cares aobut the smell...

IMHO, adding it every once in a while isn't going to do much. You aren't going to see much of anyhting unless you are running it in every tank...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.