Why put maxima 927 oil in a 4stroke gas tank?

42 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 21, 2007 - 07:55 PM

What is the purpose of a teaspoon of maxima 927 oil in a full tank of gas in a 450 fourstroke. Does it help the valves or something else?

• rmz757

Posted March 21, 2007 - 07:56 PM

from what i have heard, it helps the valves, and the piston/cylinder because it provides just a little more lubrication. plus it smells nice :applause: haha

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 21, 2007 - 08:19 PM

I'll try it! "I like the smell it gives off" Would you do this often or just once every tank of gas?

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 21, 2007 - 08:44 PM

Not sure about that product, but I run Marvel Mystery Oil.

Lubricates the top end and carb, helps fight breakdown of fuel, and the fuel doesn't stink as much...

• witdogg

Posted March 21, 2007 - 10:41 PM

What is the purpose of a teaspoon of maxima 927 oil in a full tank of gas in a 450 fourstroke. Does it help the valves or something else?

I have never heard of anyone doing that. I am going to try it now though.

• TexN343

Posted March 22, 2007 - 12:03 AM

Would this richen the fuel enough to justify rejetting or just turning the fuel screw leaner a bit?

• ThumperKid250F

Posted March 22, 2007 - 03:21 AM

i mix it 100 to 1 in my 50 50 race / pump gas

a teaspoon wont do nothing

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 22, 2007 - 04:51 AM

How much of the maxima 927 would you add to 5 gal.'s of gas?

• SUnruh

Posted March 22, 2007 - 04:56 AM

you boys need to do some searching for a post from Tryce (ffrracing) about using MMO and how it helped with his dirttrack yzf motors. the boy has been roundy-round enough to listen to. if you understand, all the better. :applause: :eek:

• Wiz636

Posted March 22, 2007 - 07:51 AM

A teaspoon added to a tank of gas is just for the smell. Any castor-based pre-mix oil should work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jaydizel

Posted March 22, 2007 - 08:16 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=485338
i put cap full in a half a tank.
jason

• Ga426owner

Posted March 22, 2007 - 12:36 PM

I am not sure that I agree with all this........unless you plan to let your bike sit for a while. :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2007 - 01:42 PM

This arose out of the thread:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=485338

(also posted above this) in which it was asked if there was an oil for 4-strokes that smelled like castor, and there is; oddly enough, it's castor. But it's impossibly expensive to buy as a four-stroke lube oil in any form I'm aware of, so if you really have to have that smell, adding it to the gas as a "top oil" is the only other choice.

The use of top oils are a very old school practice, but still has some merit. Modern valve seals and oil rings are so effective that they exclude virtually all oil from the upper cylinder, and the compression rings, valve faces, and valve stems in your bike are lubricated almost entirely by gasoline. The aforementioned gentleman some of us know as T-Dub would point out that some racing fuels tend to be a little bit too "dry", which is to say that in his opinion, they don't have enough lubricating properties to make him comfortable. Adding oil to the fuel at a rate of 10-15cc/gal (around 300:1), or more, is one way to restore that lubrication.

As a top oil, Marvel Mystery Oil is probably a better choice than a two cycle castor, because it has cleaning properties the castor doesn't, and is somewhat cleaner burning than castor in any case. If you just like the smell, there's no harm in doing this as long as you don't put so much in the fuel that it starts smoking and fouling plugs. Back in the day, we ran Castrol R in all our big British bikes, and you could always smell it in the exhaust just from the small amount of oil that got past the rings and valves, so it takes very little for your nose to pick it up. 5cc a gallon (one teaspoon) should be enough. That's about 750:1, BTW.

• yamaha_4_eva

Posted March 22, 2007 - 02:15 PM

so if im correct, its the maxima that makes it smell good?

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted March 22, 2007 - 04:07 PM

so if im correct, its the maxima that makes it smell good?

Yes.
Maxima 927:thumbsup:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 22, 2007 - 04:17 PM

Does th marvel mystery oil give off the smell to.

• yamaha racing 230

Posted March 22, 2007 - 05:40 PM

ive noticed no smell when i added mmo to my gas tank but if u smell it out of the bottle it smells kind of minty.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 22, 2007 - 05:54 PM

I guess i'll get some maxima 927 and put one teaspoon to 5gal of gas. I dont think that will be to much to foul a plug or make it run to rich "do you".

• ThumperKid250F

Posted March 22, 2007 - 06:43 PM

I guess i'll get some maxima 927 and put one teaspoon to 5gal of gas. I dont think that will be to much to foul a plug or make it run to rich "do you".

not at all. i run 50 50 race and pump gas in my bikes and i mix my gas with the maxima at 100/ 1 ratio. my bikes run great, no fouling plugs and it does not run rich.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted March 22, 2007 - 09:55 PM

I dont think that will be to much to foul a plug or make it run to rich "do you".

Adding oil to gas makes it run leaner not richer, although the amounts that you are talking would have no noticeable effect on your bike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.