Left ankle hardware removed...healing question.

6 replies to this topic
  • Fabulous

Posted March 21, 2007 - 12:54 PM

Dr. Mark,

I had a plate, and 9 screws removed from the outside of my left ankle 6 weeks ago, and the scar has healed great! When I run my hand over the area where my plate was, it feels rough underneath, and I can really feel where the screws were...I know the holes heal over in time, but will it always feel so rough in that area? I ask because I can somewhat feel the roughness under the skin rubbing on the inside of the skin, and am worried that in a few weeks when I'm okay to go riding, it will be uncomfortable in my boot. Any thoughts on this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fabian.

• DrMark

Posted March 21, 2007 - 01:42 PM

I expect that to smooth out in time.

• honuki250

Posted March 21, 2007 - 03:00 PM

After my broken ankle healed ( I did not have screws or plate) It took me another month before I could wear my old thor boots and another 3-4 weeks before I could put on my new SG-10 without it hurting. The season is just starting so take your time and make sure your healed up properly. Screw something up now and it will almost be summer before your back out. Good luck.

• CJ06WR

Posted March 21, 2007 - 07:28 PM

Fabulous,

Was there a specific reason everything was removed? I was wondering because I am toying with the idea of having the two plates and ten screws removed from the outside of my left ankle. I can really relate about the scar and feeling the heads of the screw.

I just don't know if it worth it. The Doc said pull the hardware out if it bothers me. It's tender but I really can't complain and it's been almost two years. It's just in the back of my mind if I would get more movement out of my ankle. I lack doral flexion (don't know if that is spelled correctly, but it's when you move your foot up.)

The problem is this is all a Workman's Compensation injury and there is a lot of red tape BS dealing with this injury. Let me know how your doing and I hope everything goes well.

• Fabulous

Posted March 22, 2007 - 06:14 AM

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Fabulous,

Was there a specific reason everything was removed? I was wondering because I am toying with the idea of having the two plates and ten screws removed from the outside of my left ankle. I can really relate about the scar and feeling the heads of the screw.

I just don't know if it worth it. The Doc said pull the hardware out if it bothers me. It's tender but I really can't complain and it's been almost two years. It's just in the back of my mind if I would get more movement out of my ankle. I lack doral flexion (don't know if that is spelled correctly, but it's when you move your foot up.)

The problem is this is all a Workman's Compensation injury and there is a lot of red tape BS dealing with this injury. Let me know how your doing and I hope everything goes well. [/COLOR]

I had my hardware removed because I couldn't wear MX boots with the hardware in...it just plain hurt, and made me feel sick even trying boots on. I was wearing hiking boots, and they weren't cutting it. I posted a few months ago about this problem, and Dr Mark said that it should be taken out right away, because if I were to break it again with the hardware in, it would be ruined, and I could be way worse off. I also talked to the surgeon who did the first operation, and she fully agreed...so out they came. Honestly, I can't believe I waited so long to have it done...the ankle feels great (other than the above mentioned minor irritation) I don't bang the screw heads on everything, it has more flexibility, and my footwear all fits better. I would talk to a doctor and see what can be done...you won't regret it.

Fabulous

• CJ06WR

Posted March 22, 2007 - 10:36 AM

Fabulous,

Thanks bro for the reply...I definatly need to recontact the Doc that did the surgery. How long are you suppose to be down for?

• Fabulous

Posted March 22, 2007 - 02:01 PM

My doctor said 10-12 weeks no strenuous activity (snowboarding, skateboarding, biking!, and running) It kinda sucks taking it so easy (as I gained about 5 lbs) but worth it in my opinion. Plus, it gets cold here in the winter, and the hardware would feel kinda tingly in that area, and now it's almost like I never broke it in the first place :applause: If you get a really good doctor, the scar will be almost un-noticable as well. A figure a few more months, and all you'll see is a very faint white line. Good luck...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Things I learned in my first two hours on a dirt bike (Long) by Scootterass

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

Slam Dunk by dturk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  41 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

Mx training besides running by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   MX Riding Technique
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Serious about health & fitness? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.