Iridium plugs

9 replies to this topic
  • Motosprtman

Posted March 21, 2007 - 11:53 AM

Bought a new Iridium plug for my XR250R and BIG RED (XR650L) - have nto ran em yet, any diff? I would think not much. Hope it eases starting on the lil XR and that is about all. I also put one in my 72 XL250 seemed smoother...

• Hondathumper450

Posted March 21, 2007 - 12:02 PM

I switched to the irdium plug and it definatly turned the beast into a 1 to 2 kick starter. 2000 XR650R uncorked XR's Only exhaust K&N Filter.
use to be a hard starter even after I found the starting procedure here on TT.
I am a believer and will use em from now on. Strange they do not make them for the XR400 though

• martinfan30

Posted March 21, 2007 - 12:07 PM

not sure if performance gains will be seen, but the nd or ngk iridiums i install on toyotas at work are said to be 100k mile plugs.

• rebelventurer

Posted March 21, 2007 - 01:36 PM

No real performance gain, but they last forever and you dont need to carry a spare.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 21, 2007 - 06:12 PM

not sure if performance gains will be seen, but the nd or ngk iridiums i install on toyotas at work are said to be 100k mile plugs.

I have a 2006 Tundra with the 4.7 V-8 4WD, I guess at 30K Toyota reccomends changin plugs to the iridiums - is that true?

yea I am looking only at a better spark and durability - found em cheap at www.sparkplugs.com

I pulled the plug on my 650 and it looks new! I have only replaced it one time after the uncorking and the bike only has about 2K on it, burning perfect and looked new so I left it in.

The XR250R has one in it and I hope it improves the cold and hot starts, not a real hard starter anyway - but just looking to meke it even better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RTSinDallas

Posted March 23, 2007 - 02:03 PM

From what I've read they are more efficient, need less spark energy for a hot spark. I have a weak stator which I guess made my XR600 hard to start. A larger pilot jet, removing the resistor in the plug cap and an iridium plug, made it a 1-2 kicker. Also, I don't have a decompression cable, nor have I been using the drill. Just a couple of hard kicks. I think people who have weak ignition systems benefit most from the spark plug cap mod and iridium plugs. If yours is in good shape, your biggest benefit would be durability and piece of mind.

RT

• martinfan30

Posted March 23, 2007 - 02:12 PM

NO. i dont where your dealership is but those are irid. in the 06 4.7. 100k mile plugs. so is your coolant(super long life coolant), and it does not mix with any others.

• cleonard

Posted March 23, 2007 - 02:46 PM

No real performance gain, but they last forever and you dont need to carry a spare.

That's how I describe how the standard DPR8EA-9's work in my XR600. I've never had to replace a plug in a four stroke bike that didn't have some kind of problem. I usually put a new one in when I do any major work though.

• camoman

Posted July 25, 2007 - 08:31 AM

Do all dealerships sell the iridium plugs?????
How do I do the spark plug cap mod????? Removing the resistor????

• martinfan30

Posted July 25, 2007 - 08:45 AM

Do all dealerships sell the iridium plugs?????
How do I do the spark plug cap mod????? Removing the resistor????

some. yes. havent took mine out yet but i want to.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.