1830 miles on a Maxxis Desert IT. photo's

22 replies to this topic
  • Mojave Monster

Posted March 26, 2007 - 03:55 PM

Monster- that is about what I experienced.
Did the Maxxis chunk more than the Dunlop?
Ours did. (some high desert-mostly Baja)

The Maxxis is tougher but under hard conditions does chunk larger chunks. However it does hold up better than the Dunlop. I did a 50 mile high speed (top 93mph) run across very rocky southern Nevada terrain to see what would happen. With the Dunlop it chunks but wears more evenly. The Maxxis holds up better and longer but chunks larger pieces. Given what I've seen I'll use the Maxxis for more rocky terrain and save the Dunlop for a bit less rocky ride. FYI, I ride hard and aggresive so you and/or others may not get the same results. As always, it depends...:bonk:
Oh yea, I had a a buddy in a helicopter follw me. We will try and get some video on-line soon??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BIGGITY

Posted March 29, 2007 - 11:31 AM

The Maxxis IT I bought lasted about 300 miles before 70% of the center knobs were completely blown off. I was doing 80+ on the freeway (about 150 of the 300 miles put on it) so that's probably why... Had to go back to the dunlop 606 because the other tires I bought were chunking a ton too.. I do tend to have a heavy throttle hand gear 1-3 though.

• cleonard

Posted March 29, 2007 - 12:31 PM

The Maxxis IT I bought lasted about 300 miles before 70% of the center knobs were completely blown off. I was doing 80+ on the freeway (about 150 of the 300 miles put on it) so that's probably why... Had to go back to the dunlop 606 because the other tires I bought were chunking a ton too.. I do tend to have a heavy throttle hand gear 1-3 though.

It is almost for sure a heat related problem. The rubber gets too hot and gets torn off. For me the tire had no issues on the little bit of pavement that I ran on. I wasn't going 80 and I only went 10 or so miles. Sometimes you really need a true DOT tire.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.