Skid plate vs case guards + glide plate

12 replies to this topic
  • Vegemite_luva

Posted March 21, 2007 - 06:43 AM

I have an '03 WR450F with the stock case guards and plastic glide plate. Would it be enough to upgrade to an aluminum glide plate coupled with the existing stock case guards and save a few bucks for other goodies or should I get the full coverage skid plate? Anyone had any experience with the stock case guards in a "live fire" test?

• WR_Dave

Posted March 21, 2007 - 08:37 AM

That's pretty much all I did on my old WR426. The only problem is that the glide plates fit between the frame rails and don't protect the frame very well. This may be OK for just mud and logs but rocks beat up and weaken the frame rails so I made my own skid plate that covered the frame rails all the way back to the rear down tubes. I'll try to find a pic if I can. WR Dave.

• Vegemite_luva

Posted March 21, 2007 - 08:59 AM

That's pretty much all I did on my old WR426. The only problem is that the glide plates fit between the frame rails and don't protect the frame very well. This may be OK for just mud and logs but rocks beat up and weaken the frame rails so I made my own skid plate that covered the frame rails all the way back to the rear down tubes. I'll try to find a pic if I can. WR Dave.

Thanks WR Dave. My existing plastic glide plate is between the frame rails but I think I have seen aluminum glide plates that go over the frame rails too(at least that is the way they look in the TT store pics). Being from the East Coast I will definitely come across plenty of rocks.

I think I am more concerned that the case guards won't do as good a job as the plating on a full skid plate but I have no field test experience to warrant my concern.

• trailordune

Posted March 21, 2007 - 10:15 AM

If you plan on spending money on a plate anyway, get a tough full coverage skid like the Utah Cycle. Then you can look at the minor damage to the plate instead of major damage to the frame and cases. They are only a few bucks more than a glide plate and your side cases do need the protection in the rocks.

• JWM61

Posted March 21, 2007 - 02:21 PM

I ride an 06 wr450 in the last year I have put a dent in the frame and bent the oil line bolt on the right side. I now have the plate from GYTR. Its big and heavy for an alum. plate, but it covers all the vital parts and gives alot of protection

• CJ06WR

Posted March 21, 2007 - 02:49 PM

I have hit my Utah Sport Cycle skid plate on all kinds of rocks and so far it has held up great and overs plenty of protection to the motor and frame rails.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted March 21, 2007 - 10:04 PM

Utah sport cycle plates.

still the best.

• markseaba

Posted March 22, 2007 - 11:23 AM

agreed, Utah Sport Cycle plates are the best. My buddy wiped out his water pump on his first ride, would not have happened if he had this. Well worth the $75 to $85 expense.

• RallyImprezive

Posted March 22, 2007 - 12:11 PM

Hmm the Utah plate looks a heck of a lot like my ThumperTalk plate.

Are they one and the same?

• bigdrtrdr

Posted March 22, 2007 - 04:02 PM

Hmm the Utah plate looks a heck of a lot like my ThumperTalk plate.

Are they one and the same?

Utah Cycle Sport make skid plates for quite a few brand names like Moose MSR...

• dsalvetti

Posted March 22, 2007 - 07:30 PM

I went the Devol full skidplate and it's holding up well. I think it was in the $70-75 range. And the full plate it definitely that way to go... protect those frame rails.

~Dave

• cashflow911

Posted March 26, 2007 - 02:48 PM

I hit a well placed rock with my 06 WR and broke off the oil line on the right side of the motor. I had to walk along ways because of that crappy stock guard. I bought the GYTR skidplate because it uses the stock bolt locations (No famerail clamps) Fits great and I can Hydroplan across water..... Oh yeah

• johnnyjeep

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:02 PM

Ive got the gytr plate. Bought it when I bought the bike. It and the oil lines and water pump are doing well.

John in Vegas

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.