First real ride 07 WR450

3 replies to this topic
  • TyeeHusky

Posted March 20, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Was able to finally take my new Wr450 out today for a ride in the woods. all mods done except for the grey wire. Found it runs better in place and have not had a chance to figure out why but plan on pulling in the future

I am coming of a YZ250 and this is my first 4 stroke.

Bike is like a tractor. Steep rocky hills were no problem just point and twist.

I had to learn quickly that there is no need to pull the clutch in like a 2 stoke when pulling from low RPM's

Excellent suspension. I live in the northwest and it was a dream compared to the YZ. Did not get worn out from the square edges etc.

Bike never died once. But like I said grey wire still intact.

There is a lot of engine braking but did not notice it after awhile.

Large spread between first and 2nd gear. If I wanted to pull in 2nd there wasa lots of chain slap. Wish the first two gears were a little tighter.

Kept missing 2nd gear and getting nuetral. Maybe lever is a little high or I just need to get used to it more.

Bike backfired twice when slowing from 4 gear. That was it.

Very stable and actually felt no heavier than my 2 stoke when riding. Is heavier when putting back in the truck though!!

Great ergo's. Very nimble, slim and the right setup for my 6-2 body.

Still have not kicked it yet. Love that start button but I guess maybe someday I should try and kickstart it.

Overall I am extremely happy with this bike. Lots of roll on power, great suspension and I was smiling all day. Glad i made the change. That is until I had to change the oil and filter afterward. three drain bolts, one cover and filter. Used about 1.5 quarts, does that sound right?

• IchWarriorMkII

Posted March 20, 2007 - 06:49 PM

I find my bike easier to kick, it hits on one kick, but cranks for a bit with the e-start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tough Guy

Posted March 20, 2007 - 07:02 PM

Was able to finally take my new Wr450 out today for a ride in the woods. all mods done except for the grey wire. Found it runs better in place and have not had a chance to figure out why but plan on pulling in the future

I am coming of a YZ250 and this is my first 4 stroke.

Bike is like a tractor. Steep rocky hills were no problem just point and twist.

I had to learn quickly that there is no need to pull the clutch in like a 2 stoke when pulling from low RPM's

Excellent suspension. I live in the northwest and it was a dream compared to the YZ. Did not get worn out from the square edges etc.

Bike never died once. But like I said grey wire still intact.

There is a lot of engine braking but did not notice it after awhile.

Large spread between first and 2nd gear. If I wanted to pull in 2nd there wasa lots of chain slap. Wish the first two gears were a little tighter.

Kept missing 2nd gear and getting nuetral. Maybe lever is a little high or I just need to get used to it more.

Bike backfired twice when slowing from 4 gear. That was it.

Very stable and actually felt no heavier than my 2 stoke when riding. Is heavier when putting back in the truck though!!

Great ergo's. Very nimble, slim and the right setup for my 6-2 body.

Still have not kicked it yet. Love that start button but I guess maybe someday I should try and kickstart it.

Overall I am extremely happy with this bike. Lots of roll on power, great suspension and I was smiling all day. Glad i made the change. That is until I had to change the oil and filter afterward. three drain bolts, one cover and filter. Used about 1.5 quarts, does that sound right?

After my first ride I adjusted the chain a little on the tight side so that lugging did not produce the chain slap...that worked well. The gears seem far apart now but after you tighten the chain and get used to the low end power you'll appreciate the gap...

After my second real ride I felt comfortable on the bike and more confident. The handling and balance combined with the power makes the WR an awesome woods bike.

Chris

• SXP

Posted March 20, 2007 - 08:53 PM

Used about 1.5 quarts, does that sound right?

Should take no more than a little over a quart. Check your manual. 1.5 quarts is in the old 400/426 arena.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.