How high is to high to raise forks in clamps 0n 06 yz450f

11 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 20, 2007 - 04:37 PM

I was wondering how much I could raise the forks up in the triple clamps because I will be racing next weekend on a track that has a lot of tight turns in it. The longest stretch is around 50 yards and I was woundering if I need to move them up for quicker turning ability. They are set at just under the second line on the forks do I need to move them up a few mm's more or not?:applause:

• Ranger18

Posted March 20, 2007 - 04:44 PM

I haven't tryed this, but i've heard that you can place your bike on even ground, then blead the air in the forks and this will basically lower your front suspension for tight tracks. Then when you are done with that track you can put your bike up on the stand, remove the airbleeds and it will bring it back to normal.
Might be something to look into.:applause:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 20, 2007 - 05:04 PM

I have bled the air out while the bike is level on the ground but was more concerned about how high I could raise the fork tubes in the clamps on my 06 yz450f with outover steering or turning?

• Ranger18

Posted March 21, 2007 - 06:35 AM

I have bled the air out while the bike is level on the ground but was more concerned about how high I could raise the fork tubes in the clamps on my 06 yz450f with outover steering or turning?

As far as that's that's concerned I don't really have an answer. I was looking at some of the pros bikes at supcrosses, and some had there forks up about 10-15 mm in the clamps. Having not done this myself, nor am I fast enough to ever have to, I don't know the overall outcome or side effects of doing this. Have you looked into the storm rear link, it will raise the rear of your bike a little, which gives it the same effect of the longer 07 rear shock, that will help your bike turn as well.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 21, 2007 - 06:43 AM

I will check that out and see what I can find out... Thanks!

• live4speed

Posted March 27, 2007 - 05:31 PM

i have heard you can go to the etched line in the tube...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted March 27, 2007 - 06:12 PM

i have heard you can go to the etched line in the tube...

Don't be afraid to raise these up. let me tell you my story. Stock clamps forks at line better but not happy.forks raised 2mm above etched line. better but still not happy. Intalled Rg3 22s forks at line.Way better. Rg3s forks raised 5mm from from line. absolutly fantastic. Even if you don't have the clamps. Raise em high ! the bike can handle it what do you have to lose? No my bike wasn't nervous. no my fender didn't hit the tire. Yes I had a big smile on my face.

• Reyndogg

Posted March 27, 2007 - 08:28 PM

I haven't tryed this, but i've heard that you can place your bike on even ground, then blead the air in the forks and this will basically lower your front suspension for tight tracks. Then when you are done with that track you can put your bike up on the stand, remove the airbleeds and it will bring it back to normal.
Might be something to look into.:bonk:

:naughty: bleeding air from your forks with your front wheel on the ground can make you bust fork seals

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:44 AM

:bonk: bleeding air from your forks with your front wheel on the ground can make you bust fork seals

And why, you ask? Because it sets the internal air pressure in the fork at 0 in a less than fully extended position, which then creates a partial vacuum when the fork extends completely. If this vacuum is high enough, it can pull dirt into the seals.

• BC3

Posted March 28, 2007 - 08:10 AM

Different dia. tires will effect the turning also......When guys spoke up a different front rim for Motard racing I would think that in itself would make the bike turn quicker?

• The Italian Stallion

Posted March 28, 2007 - 03:53 PM

Different dia. tires will effect the turning also......When guys spoke up a different front rim for Motard racing I would think that in itself would make the bike turn quicker?

He he THATS why Yamaha put a739 on the front and a 756 on the rear! Someone should try the honda 20 incher on the Yamii

• TMAC25

Posted May 26, 2007 - 08:04 PM

Slam those forks, I have mine way past the line and it handles great.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.