Edelbrock and '01 XR650R: worth 400 bucks?

20 replies to this topic
  • Timmerz

Posted March 20, 2007 - 01:06 PM

My buddy's got an '01 XR650R and is wondering if the 3115 Edelbrock carb upgrade is worth the $400 cost?
Anybody got any opinions?
Thanks!
Tim

• porterdog

Posted March 20, 2007 - 03:07 PM

Search this forum for "Edelbrock" and you'll get an earful! Most like it, especially on the XRR. Benefits are touted as (much) easier starting and improved mileage.

Burned, King of the Jetting forum, on the other hand...... :applause:

I'm going to try and get the stocker to where people say it can be before I spend $400 on the E, though I have one on my XR4 and like it quite well.

• jws

Posted March 20, 2007 - 05:08 PM

My buddy's got an '01 XR650R and is wondering if the 3115 Edelbrock carb upgrade is worth the $400 cost?
Thanks!
Tim

Yep - money well spent:ride:

• drop

Posted March 20, 2007 - 08:37 PM

Can anyone confirm improved mileage claims?

• wickedsprint

Posted March 20, 2007 - 08:52 PM

Mine when set up properly used more fuel, and was a compromise, either the top end was good, or the throttle response was good. I sold it, went back to stock carb and am much happier. The eddy did have nice throttle response, but the stocker is pretty close. If you adjusted the eddy to make good top end power, it popped a ton on decel and had zilch for midrange and off idle.

• adam574

Posted March 20, 2007 - 09:30 PM

i got one on my 03 650r and thought it was a definate improvement in power. pulled stronger off idle, and has a wicked midrange snap, i can't be for sure but it felt to pull stronger all the way up the rev limiter also. i had my stocker jetted mint and i just couldn't pass up all the claims about this carb and i am very happy with it. one thing i was kinda bummed about was the ease of jetting. everyone said it was a cinch and i had a harder time messing with different needles and clicking positions then i did on the stock carb. i saw no difference in mileage at all.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 21, 2007 - 04:02 AM

I figure if all of the claims are true, why aren't the baja race teams using this carb?

• XRR-kat

Posted March 21, 2007 - 06:30 AM

Wicked,
I'm still teetering on the fence and here you've hurdled that fence and moved on.

Seems the one thing, since its not going to be better mileage, or power, or even ease of adjustment,....the one thing I would be getting the Edie for would be ease of starting after dropping/flooding (does that let you know my riding style?).

Tell me again how I need to practice more, though it is easier to start after uncorking and now uncorking the exhaust.

• Dodger

Posted March 21, 2007 - 10:03 AM

Thanks!
Tim

Those who say it's a must have, are prolly in the same catagory as those who think putting a loud ass exhaust on a bike "give it tons of extra power...."

• blueridge

Posted March 21, 2007 - 11:04 AM

The one compelling advantage the Eddy has is externally adjustable mixture. If you ride over a wide range of altitudes, e.g., up and down Mauna Kea (my case), being able to lean it out at altitude is worth the $400. My mileage went from 24 mpg to about 33 mpg ... but that could be the altitude effect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hondathumper450

Posted March 21, 2007 - 11:39 AM

I have started cold, warm and hot *after I found the starting method for the beast*, started after laying it down doing the laydown starting procedure and never had a problem starting the beast. uncorked with a XR's Only SS Exhaust with the power disc system. Other than a slight hiccup with a throttle snap to full all is good with the stock carb. more power than I can use at times but there if I need it.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 21, 2007 - 02:29 PM

The one compelling advantage the Eddy has is externally adjustable mixture. If you ride over a wide range of altitudes, e.g., up and down Mauna Kea (my case), being able to lean it out at altitude is worth the $400. My mileage went from 24 mpg to about 33 mpg ... but that could be the altitude effect.

I bet I can change main jets faster than adjusting the needle on the eddy. With my stock tank I had to remove it and then adjust the carb, with the stock carb I can swap mains in about 45 seconds through the bottom of the bowl. Adjusting pilots and needle height is a different story though.

The eddy in theory is easier to start when flooded yes, but thumpers have been doing fine without eddies for half a century or more, you flood it, shut off the gas, hold wide open throttle, they always start.

• jws

Posted March 21, 2007 - 04:09 PM

I had the stock carb dialed perfect - never had a problem starting it cold or hot. I just didnt like the hesitation it had when you would whack the throttle. I put the edelbrock on and spent a few days dialing it in and can honestly say the throttle responce is 100% better. You guys know that with the stock carb if you whack the throttle hard at idle the bike dies Not with the edelbrock:applause:

Another thing that I like better about the edelbrock is its 2 quirts one kick and it starts - No more having to kick the thing thru wide open throttle with the comp release 10 times bullshit.

The bike will also run upside down when you crash:ride:

As far as milage - I never really cared. I get 80 -90 mile on my 3.2 IMS and 120 or more on my 4.3 clarke...........

If your happy with the stocker thats cool too......... I bought my edelbrock for $299 and sold my stock carb on ebay for a $100 a few years back.

Jeff

• hill5150

Posted March 21, 2007 - 04:20 PM

:applause: I sold my stocker for 110 bucks and have the Eddy, it's great 1 kick starts.... the.......carb kicks ass............

• philipstjohn

Posted March 21, 2007 - 04:45 PM

:applause: I sold my stocker for 110 bucks and have the Eddy, it's great 1 kick starts.... the.......carb kicks ass............

I have the stock carb dialed in for my riding area, and went out yesterday and rode, and from the first start of the day to the last, it started first kick everytime. There are many stories of hard starting after being down including mine, but if you are racing to win, and do not go down to be able to win, this will not be an issue. :lol: :eek:

• InternalCombustion

Posted March 21, 2007 - 05:46 PM

It was worth it for me.

Is the stocker a good carb? Sure, no question, its a very competent carb once you dial it in. .

I just wanted a bit better response, lower risk of flooding, better response, easier tuning, better response.

I got all that, plus better response.

If that's worth $400 to you, go for it. If its not, don't A dyno won't care, same-o, same-o.

I cared. I'm very happy with mine.

• jesusgatos

Posted March 21, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Ha. I traded wickedsprint my stock carb plus some cash for his Edelbrock. Sounds like we're both happy. I still haven't gotten the Edelbrock dialed-in 100%, but the ease-of-starting and better throttle response make it worth it to me, eeven if I give up a little on the mid to top end. That's really not where I need the power anyway.

• Billahjack

Posted March 21, 2007 - 06:32 PM

I haven't tried the Edelbrock yet, but I love the stock carb.

If I dump the bike, I get back on it and kick it 2 times with the compression release pulled in and the throttle wide open, then I get it just past TDC and kick it with the throttle still wide open. It starts 1st or 2nd kick this way. Running a 68S jet, HRC needle and a 185 main with the following mods :side panel cut-out, Hotcams stage 1 CAM, and Yoshimura pipe on the stock header. This thing rips from idle to about 7500 RPM.

I'm getting a second stock carb bored over 1MM and will switch to a header + pipe combo for more top end. The guys at XRsOnly said the Baja racers were going about 1.5MM (0.06") overbore on the stock carb.

If I had $400 to spend on a first mod, I would get a cam or pipe. A little more (~700), then I would do the suspension first.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 21, 2007 - 06:34 PM

Ha. I traded wickedsprint my stock carb plus some cash for his Edelbrock. Sounds like we're both happy. I still haven't gotten the Edelbrock dialed-in 100%, but the ease-of-starting and better throttle response make it worth it to me, eeven if I give up a little on the mid to top end. That's really not where I need the power anyway.

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it, I do admit the eddie is a bit more responsive off the bottom though, and cold starts are easier, so it does sound like we both got what we wanted.

• adam574

Posted March 21, 2007 - 07:50 PM

Those who say it's a must have, are prolly in the same catagory as those who think putting a loud ass exhaust on a bike "give it tons of extra power...."

have you tried one?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.