Leaking Oil

6 replies to this topic

Posted March 20, 2007 - 07:10 AM

2007 YZ450F - I'm leaking oil in two places!

The first is out of the 8mm cam chain tension bolt (the one on the inside or right) - I've adjusted my valves 3 times now so I'm guessing just taking the tensioner on and off has wore the gasket....

The other leak is coming from behind my front sproket - although it acts as a natural chain lube it's not cool having oil flung all over the place - this is a 2007!!!!

Well just figured I'd share with you guys to give a heads up and see if anyone else has had these problems - I've bought the seals so now it's time to break er down and get to repacing them...

• kyle450rider

Posted March 20, 2007 - 01:08 PM

2007 YZ450F - I'm leaking oil in two places!

The first is out of the 8mm cam chain tension bolt (the one on the inside or right) - I've adjusted my valves 3 times now so I'm guessing just taking the tensioner on and off has wore the gasket....

The other leak is coming from behind my front sproket - although it acts as a natural chain lube it's not cool having oil flung all over the place - this is a 2007!!!!

Well just figured I'd share with you guys to give a heads up and see if anyone else has had these problems - I've bought the seals so now it's time to break er down and get to repacing them...

How many hours on your bike do you have.Having to adjust the valves 3 times sounds like 3 times too many for a 2007.

Posted March 21, 2007 - 08:06 AM

oh man I've raced all of the Texas Winter Series... I've raced Cooperland and now I'm in the middle of the Arkansas State series... I've got 30 hours on it probably...

It's about time to put in a new top end and I may end up putting in some new valves.... I ride hard and I guess I'm overreving too much... two stroke habits aren't going away....

I replaced the cam chain tensioner gasket last night and that had an obvious crack in it so that was explainable... My snap on impact wasn't able to get the front sprocket off so I'm taking it to the shop today...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wyatt

Posted March 21, 2007 - 08:24 AM

Man, I have never heard of anyone having to make that many adjustments in that short if time. You must be a rev'er.

Posted March 22, 2007 - 06:10 AM

Honestly I try not to but I think I'm just in a lower gear than I should be. - I'm a fast intermediate rider - top 5 in Texas Winter Series so it's not like I don't know how to ride - Just trying to adjust to the 4-strokes.... I need to get my hand off the clutch too..

• Ga426owner

Posted March 22, 2007 - 06:32 AM

Wow that is the most wear I have heard about in a while...30hrs and 3 valve checks...and 2 blown gaskets....tensioner gasket is from over maintaining...but the other is weird....possibly too much rpm...but fix soon.
I am one for maint but you win the award for the most valve checks .... you may consider a new cam chain and tensioner when you do your top end...
Also since you mention it....I bet your clutch is really worn if you are abusing it/using it too much:thumbsup:

Posted March 26, 2007 - 10:52 AM

yeah I like to think better safe than sorry... I think you're right about the clutch after back to back moto's this past sunday i could tell it wasn't releasing all the way... may need to get in there and check it out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.