BRP Suspension

9 replies to this topic
  • Extremerush08

Posted March 20, 2007 - 12:18 AM

I just picked up a 2002 XR 650r dual sport, and after eating the licence plate and rear brake light from bottoming out on mild trail riding I've decided that the suspenion needs some serious help. I've done a little research, and all I can find to do is respring and adjust valve settings. What would you guys suggest for a 200lb expert rider.

• abby

Posted March 20, 2007 - 05:14 AM

I started by re-springing, made a world of difference. I am 6'4" close to 300 lbs geared up with tools, followed the spring rate chart here (scroll to the bottom):

http://www.xr650r.bo.../suspension.htm

I haven't messed with the valves yet, I am going to ride more and see if it is necessary. Just getting the right static and race sag makes it a new bike.

I got Eibach springs (front and rear) for about $220.00 delivered.

• rebelventurer

Posted March 20, 2007 - 05:55 AM

Try this you can print it out after you give your info for future reference.
http://www.racetech....lish/mctype.asp :applause:

• BWB63

Posted March 20, 2007 - 06:00 AM

If you are good with tools and follow all the links on the different Shock and Fork pages http://xr650r.borynack.com/ page gives you what you need to make the suspension race ready. I run the desert race setup with 10kg/mm shock spring and .45kg/mm fork springs. The bike is ten times plusher on the small stuff and the bike can now handle 60' table tops and good size drop offs. There is a video page with the Baja 500 setup in action.

• COMPLAINE

Posted March 20, 2007 - 10:48 PM

I think you need air shocks

Ian-

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Potts228

Posted March 21, 2007 - 01:11 PM

I just picked up a 2002 XR 650r dual sport, and after eating the licence plate and rear brake light from bottoming out on mild trail riding I've decided that the suspenion needs some serious help. I've done a little research, and all I can find to do is respring and adjust valve settings. What would you guys suggest for a 200lb expert rider.

I followed the pack and did Precision Concepts. I am very happy with the results but I still get some high speed swap in deep whoops that I have not been able to adjust with pre-load, clickers, etc.

I chatted with Chris Haines back in November in Baja and he spoke very highly of the new valving from Race Tech.

• dezracerE

Posted March 21, 2007 - 03:39 PM

I followed the pack and did Precision Concepts. I am very happy with the results but I still get some high speed swap in deep whoops that I have not been able to adjust with pre-load, clickers, etc.

I chatted with Chris Haines back in November in Baja and he spoke very highly of the new valving from Race Tech.

I think the high speed swap in deep whoops is from the overall weight. (or you are just going much faster over them now)
Crank the stabilizer.
I love the Precision Concepts setup. Worth the money. If you are in Cali- 2 locations to serve you or you can ship.
Not too harsh- just works- especially on car race courses like in Baja where the whoops tend to be spread further apart. The only beef I have is from the Eibach springs in the ft forks. They drag the inner tubes and annoy me with the scraping sound. I was told it would go away- but not yet after about 350 off road miles.

• Billahjack

Posted March 21, 2007 - 07:03 PM

There is a Honda shop near Van Nuys, CA that does the ESP suspension set-up. I guess the guy's name is George. I bought the bike with the suspension already on it setup for 220LBS. I weigh 170 lbs with gear. George's setups are a little more oriented towards casual riding versus race set-ups. My 2000 XRR has the ESP setup. VERY plush and I can put my girlfriend on the back. I crank the compression up 3 clicks on the rear and leave the pre-load when she rides on the back of that one. We only bottomed out once on a jump.

The ESP suspension is very nice although I have not tried the Precision Concepts setup. I found the ESP can absorb high speed whoops at about 70 mph while still feeling gently crawling along a trail.

I have a 2001 XRR with stock suspension and it bottoms out with her on the back. We were doing a few hill climbs and it got ugly on this bike where the skid plate was dragging over rocks. Its also considerably less plush with or without her on the back. The same whoops on the stock suspension are scary a 70 mph.

• dezracerE

Posted March 22, 2007 - 06:53 AM

There is a Honda shop near Van Nuys, CA that does the ESP suspension set-up. I guess the guy's name is George. I bought the bike with the suspension already on it setup for 220LBS. I weigh 170 lbs with gear. George's setups are a little more oriented towards casual riding versus race set-ups. My 2000 XRR has the ESP setup. VERY plush and I can put my girlfriend on the back. I crank the compression up 3 clicks on the rear and leave the pre-load when she rides on the back of that one. We only bottomed out once on a jump.

The ESP suspension is very nice although I have not tried the Precision Concepts setup. I found the ESP can absorb high speed whoops at about 70 mph while still feeling gently crawling along a trail.

I have a 2001 XRR with stock suspension and it bottoms out with her on the back. We were doing a few hill climbs and it got ugly on this bike where the skid plate was dragging over rocks. Its also considerably less plush with or without her on the back. The same whoops on the stock suspension are scary a 70 mph.

I have owned and ridden several ESP suspension bikes and although I agree you can pound the whoops hard with his setups, my experience has been that it is harsh in slow speed. I weigh about 190-195.
The Precision Concepts setup seems better all-around- especially when you are getting to the geriatric stages like me.
Whoops at 70 are not as appealing to me anymore.

• XR4DEZ

Posted March 22, 2007 - 09:37 AM

Suspension by Jake in Riverside, CA has some nice all around setting too. Reasonable pricing and quality work.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.