Boston with no manual

keywords: kickback, starting, kick start

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 19, 2001 - 10:14 PM

Disregard post, misunderstood

[This message has been edited by mike68 (edited 01-19-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 19, 2001 - 10:18 PM

Mine does that if I touch the gas at all (unless its real cold).

Hurts doesnt it?

• TW

Posted January 19, 2001 - 10:19 PM

You will receive some good advice on this forum on this subject. A severe kickback can cause damage to the machine, look in the archive. What I do when I first start my WR cold; if I give it any gas at all(which usually isn't needed unless very cold out) I pull in the compression release and kick it through several times before I find top dead center and fire it up. This has worked for me. I believe you might be loading up a little too much on gas. Just my opinion....TW

99 WR400

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wheelie

Posted January 19, 2001 - 10:50 PM

DON'T TOUCH THE GAS! my bike only kicks back if I touch the gas, the manual says don't touch the gas!

• Taffy

Posted January 19, 2001 - 12:07 PM

if you hold the throttle open even slightly it will kick back. leave the throttle alone & it'll start fine.

• Bill

Posted January 19, 2001 - 12:22 PM

The information above is correct. DO NOT give it gas prior to starting it. Pull the compression release in, kick it over a few times to prime the fuel and oil systems, follow the factory starting instructions and it will fire. Assuming it is jetted and tuned properly.

I have a piece of velcro on my throttle and around the front brake lever to prevent anyone from turning the throttle while my baby is resting.

Why does everyone want to turn a throttle?

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• Ken

Posted January 20, 2001 - 02:09 PM

Is it correct that opening the throttle advances the timing (TPS function)? If so, does it advance timing enough that upon ignition the piston is forced back down rather than making it past TDC and then down? Seems to me this scenario turns the crank backwards…kickback.

My $.02

[This message has been edited by Ken (edited 01-20-2001).]

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.