Pro Taper clamps

24 replies to this topic
  • yzfmerf

Posted March 19, 2007 - 09:04 PM

Anybody have the new ones yet? Looks like they took some of the good points of the RG3 and added adjustabilty. They also ofer a 22.5 offset. Plus they retail for $495 which should make them quite a bit less than the RG3.

• TMAC25

Posted March 20, 2007 - 12:23 AM

I just bought some used rg3 clamps top, bottom and stem off ebay for my 06 for 300 shipped so im thinking I got a good deal, cant wait tell they show up.

• TexN343

Posted March 22, 2007 - 12:21 AM

I recently bought some new pro taper top clamps for my 04. It was adjustable forward or backwards. I can now set the bars more perpendicular with the ground and have great turnablilty. The bars are closer to me basically. I can now take the same lines as the 85's do in practice on a supercross style track.

• yzfmerf

Posted December 21, 2007 - 05:40 PM

Anybody else ever get these? I had to put them off for a while but now i am back in the market for my 06. I felt better last weekend when i really concentrated on getting up on the tank but it still seemed like it wanted to climb out of some of the deeper ruts.

• todds924

Posted December 21, 2007 - 10:08 PM

Anybody have the new ones yet? Looks like they took some of the good points of the RG3 and added adjustabilty. They also ofer a 22.5 offset. Plus they retail for $495 which should make them quite a bit less than the RG3.

RG3's are only 500.00 for the top and bottom clamp. Add another 100 and you get the stem and lower bearing.

• yzfmerf

Posted December 22, 2007 - 07:34 AM

These are actually selling everywhere for $400 ready to bolt on. I cant see the RG3 being worth another $200 and the PT is more adjustable.

• drussell40

Posted December 22, 2007 - 08:36 AM

If you buy the Zip Ty clamps you have adjustability for and aft + or - 5mm and height same 5mm+ -

• racer 813

Posted December 23, 2007 - 05:49 PM

YZFMERF you have a pm

• yzfmerf

Posted December 28, 2007 - 08:28 PM

Took the plunge and ordered them finally. I will let everyone know what they feel like next eek hopefully. I really want to increase my corner speed so i can get out of the almost slowest guy class! Our class basically everyone can jump everything so the corners have to be why i am 5 seconds per lap off the pace

• TMAC25

Posted December 29, 2007 - 11:06 PM

Practice my friend practice

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzfmerf

Posted January 02, 2008 - 08:04 PM

Got the clamps today but unfortunately i wont get to try them for a week or so. Funny thing is though i found out the clamp for the ignition box was a little tweaked because the fork tubes hit it now being back a little farther. I am really excited about trying though since i was also able to move the bars farther forward as well

• steve_97060

Posted January 03, 2008 - 03:18 PM

Let us know how you like em, I am interested in those clamps also....

• honda597

Posted January 03, 2008 - 06:43 PM

Posted ImageI have been using these clamps for about 6 mths now, (in the 22.5mm off-set) and i dont think you will find better value anywhere. The PRO-TAPER offers great adustabilty and strength.(see 2nd pic) Great product:thumbsup:

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 024 (Medium).jpg
  • IMG_2164 (Small).JPG

• yzfmerf

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:04 PM

Finally got to ride tonight. Bike felt great, much easier to stay in a rut. I as actually having a problem losing the rear end because i forgot i had taken a lot of the sag out to get it to turn. I also took the 50 tooth of of the rear and put on a 48. I found it a lot easier shifting down to 2nd in the corners instead of trying to ride everything in 3rd. I really feel like i shift less this way.

• steve_97060

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:45 PM

Finally got to ride tonight. Bike felt great, much easier to stay in a rut. I as actually having a problem losing the rear end because i forgot i had taken a lot of the sag out to get it to turn. I also took the 50 tooth of of the rear and put on a 48. I found it a lot easier shifting down to 2nd in the corners instead of trying to ride everything in 3rd. I really feel like i shift less this way.

interesting about the 48, I was wondering about doing the same thing myself when I buy new sprockets soon.. thought it would smooth the power out more and I could use second gear a little more also...

keep us posted on how you like the clamps, I am still considering them...

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2008 - 05:16 PM

I really feel like i shift less this way.

You should feel that way. Raising the overall gearing spreads the trans ratios out farther apart, making the gearbox a little wider ratio, and increases the speed range in any particular gear.

• yzfmerf

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:22 PM

Yep that exactly what i wanted. Gearing is actually one thing i understand from my RC car racing. I am thinking next time i may try 14/51. Which is just a little lower. As far as the clamps go i would definitely give them a try. Much better than stock and never felt like they wanted to fold under.

• yzmerf105

Posted February 01, 2009 - 07:16 PM

Found out something interesting about the clamps the other night. Moved my bars way forward just to try it and they put the bars right over the bleeder buttons for the forks. didn't really think about it until i found oil on top of my forks. Evidently the elastomers give enough they were allowing my bars to bleed my fork as i rode! Needless to say i spun my top tubes around so the bleeders are no longer close to the bars.

• LEMMON1

Posted February 01, 2009 - 09:21 PM

i really concentrated on getting up on the tank but it still seemed like it wanted to climb out of some of the deeper ruts.

i get that same problem with mine

• LEMMON1

Posted February 01, 2009 - 09:25 PM

Posted ImageI have been using these clamps for about 6 mths now, (in the 22.5mm off-set) and i dont think you will find better value anywhere. The PRO-TAPER offers great adustabilty and strength.(see 2nd pic) Great product:thumbsup:

what the hell happened to ur bike that u managed to bend pro taper bars?!?!??!??! i guess theres a first for everything

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.