Valves - Riding when mal-adjusted.

6 replies to this topic
  • Esrum1

Posted March 19, 2007 - 07:38 PM

I just did a valve job on my 2005 XR650R. 6 months ago, I got them spot on. Unfortunately, they tightened up a bit, so I loosened them, but I loosened them too much this time around. I'm now getting the annoying clanking from the loose valves.

I probably won't have time to re-adjust them until this weekend, but would like to ride tomorrow to work. Is this generally a bad idea with loose and loud valves?

I should probably stick with my own intuition that tells me just to let her sit until I get it right.

Joe

• bork

Posted March 19, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Always better too lose than tight. Too tight burns valves, thus leakage from warp or pitting.

• HawkGT

Posted March 19, 2007 - 08:28 PM

What's that old saying? "A noisy valve is a happy valve"

Obviously the correct spec is the best thing but too loose is safer then too tight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hawgman94

Posted March 20, 2007 - 07:00 AM

"a Slappy Valve Is A Happy Valve"

• HawkGT

Posted March 20, 2007 - 08:15 AM

That's it! :applause:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 20, 2007 - 12:44 PM

They're so quick to adjust, why not just make it right and ride. I had the same issue because I wanted to adjust them to the "safe side", but the extra clatter was too much. I redid it before the next ride and got it spot on and it's nice and QUIET now.

• Billahjack

Posted March 21, 2007 - 07:11 PM

I adjusted my valves 3 times in the same day when I put a new cam in. The first time the moly lube got in the way and they were loose. The second time I was just retarded and they were loose. The third time I developed a technique for tightening the jam nut while maintaining the proper clearance and they are good now.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.