ok u four stroke guys help me decide......

5 replies to this topic
  • onenastynotch

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:15 PM

lookin to get a new bike....ive been on 2 strokes my whole life curenttly riding a 2000 yz 250....i do alot of woods riding in pa and a fair amount of mx at island motorcross in ny....the guys who got off 2 strokes did u really feel the extra weight of the 450 ? handling the extra power is not a problem im just worried the extra weight might be a hinderance in the woods ...i had a yzf 450 or crf 450 in mind for a 450 or a new rmz or yzf 250f ..just so up in the air ...my bike with fuel weighs 226 pounds i know a 450 weighs around 232 or so...the weigh thing is magnified by the fact im 5.6 and around 170 pounds.....im very strong (competitive powerlifter in ny so like i said strength is not an issue......all i know i do 3 laps on my yz250 i get armpump like crazy from the 2 strokes explosive power delivery.....is the 450 that much smoother?all the guys at the track are tellin me to get a 250f or 450f 4 stroke it will be easier on my arms and ill be able to ride much longer ..i was thinkin about a 250f but im not all that into doin a topend after 40 hrs of good riding......i put 77 hrs on my yz in 9 months last year so the 450 will def last longer ...what do u guys think?or should i just get a new 250 2 stroke? any help will be appreciated

• desertracer100

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:24 PM

I'm about the same size 5'7", 165lb. The only place the weight is really noticeable is in turns and sand. For me the 4-stroke is like a tank, it just won't turn for me. I would stick with a YZ250 the new AL frames are really light and handle really well.

• StPeters21

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:48 PM

I think the 2 smokes are still dominate in the woods around here. The 4 strokes are rising though. If you are that size I probably wouldn't recomend the 450 in the woods. I ride a 450, but on the track 99.9% of the time. It is great on the track but just ok in the woods.

my $.02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • onenastynotch

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:51 PM

thanzx guys keep the opinions coming

• mxracer206

Posted March 19, 2007 - 06:12 PM

Most everyone I ride with prefer 2-strokes in the woods. I just made the same switch and it took some getting used to. Seemed like all the bad traits of a 4-stroke were worse when going slow and in mud or sand. I was really glad when the weather cleared and coiuld get up to speed on some dry soil.
I also think an aluminum framed YZ-250 would be a great play bike.

• slammmin72

Posted March 19, 2007 - 06:21 PM

ive got a 2000 YZ 250 aswell, awesome bike, tons of power. and i just recently got a second bike, a 02 YZ426F, i know that bikes a bit heavier than the new 450s. but heres my opinion(i ride mainly woods, ocasionlly jump on the track just for fun): when i first started riding my 426, the first thing i noticed was the torque, and the ability to acutally put the power to the ground unlike the 2 stroke, which just revs, and spins the tire. so when riding trails, u never really have to wory about which gear u were in, all u have to do is just twist the throttle a little more, and next thing u know, ur at the top. on my 250, i was able to ride the tight stuff alot faster because the bike is more "flickable" and nimble. but as i ride the 426 more and more, i am beginging to get used to the extra weight and also able to ride as fast, and maybe faster than on om 250. Since i got my 426, ive been neglecting my 250, but i find that i dont have nearly as much fun on it as i did with my 250. it gets boring sometimes knowing that u can do any hill climb or trail with ease. but a plus about the 4-stroke is u can ride alot further away from camp than u can on the 2 stroke becuase it consumes alot less gas.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.