removing choke plate affecting jetting??

8 replies to this topic
  • BCBrouwer

Posted March 19, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Bike is a xr650r. Before I rip the carb off, just wondering if I remove the choke plate if I can still use the same jetting. Also can I still get by with the plate without the spring? Seems like there are varried opinions, and I don't want to risk sucking a piece into the motor. After looking at the aftermarket choke plates it seems like the stock one would work without the spring since the aftermarket ones have no spring. Am I missing something maybe? I know its more than one question, but would greatly appricate it. this is a cool site with lots of info, but I couldn't search for my questions specifically. Thanks.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 19, 2007 - 12:20 PM

The aftermarket ones have a smaller opening vs. the stocker with the flap removed. They are like 20 bucks from xrs only, that's what i am running. I have heard both the flapper and the spring can get sucked in.

• LeadDoggy

Posted March 20, 2007 - 05:16 AM

The spring helps keep the flapper shut. The flapper, i believe is for backfires. It bike backfires during choke use, it will help relieve reverse pressure. I could be wrong.
The flapper without the spring will flap back and forth and eventually break off. Remove and replace with new aftermarket plate or remove plate and install a larger slow jet.
I removed mine and installed one from XRsonly. Had to file down the edges a bit to get it to fit.

• cleonard

Posted March 20, 2007 - 07:45 AM

I have a 600, not a 650R, but I didn't have to change my jetting when I pulled the entire choke assembly. If you pull the plate you have to take out the shaft too. The plate is what holds the choke shaft in place. Then you will need to plug the hole where the shaft goes through the carb body.

I would guess that removing the choke may lean it out, but the effect is very small.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LeadDoggy

Posted March 20, 2007 - 08:30 AM

If you pull the plate you have to take out the shaft too. The plate is what holds the choke shaft in place. Then you will need to plug the hole where the shaft goes through the carb body.

how do you plug the holes?????

• BCBrouwer

Posted March 20, 2007 - 12:29 PM

The spring helps keep the flapper shut. The flapper, i believe is for backfires. It bike backfires during choke use, it will help relieve reverse pressure. I could be wrong.
The flapper without the spring will flap back and forth and eventually break off. Remove and replace with new aftermarket plate or remove plate and install a larger slow jet.
I removed mine and installed one from XRsonly. Had to file down the edges a bit to get it to fit.

I suppose I could remove the flap and spring and keep the stock plate in there correct? Been too long since I've had the carb apart i can't remember, but want to make sure i know what in doing when it I take it off.

• LeadDoggy

Posted March 20, 2007 - 12:39 PM

I suppose I could remove the flap and spring and keep the stock plate in there correct? Been too long since I've had the carb apart i can't remember, but want to make sure i know what in doing when it I take it off.

Yes, you could remove flapper but first check the rest of the choke plate for cracks. The orginal choke plate is made of some form of casting, and can crack, whereas the aftermarket plates are of solid aluminum. Also, the choking process will be reduced with the flapper removed and may require the "tilt the bike over to one side" routine. Best bet, replace it!!!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 20, 2007 - 12:40 PM

I went with the XR's only as well. If you have no jetting issues now with the choke off, you will have none with the new or modified plate either.

• BCBrouwer

Posted March 20, 2007 - 02:26 PM

Ok, thanks guys!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.