Rekluse drawbacks

17 replies to this topic
  • rooster wrooster

Posted March 19, 2007 - 06:45 AM

Getting mine next month for my '06. Over 250 posts on TT about it, but not many on the negatives or drawbacks. I like to have as much info as possible so there are no surprises There are plenty of positive posts that have convinced me many times over that I could benefit from one. I'll get the left hand rear brake also, but I don't think I'll need the perch adjuster. I ride all dualsport.

The most common drawback is that you can't bump start the bike.

1. What about power shifting? You can't do this anymore right? You have to close the throttle then shift.

2. Will the bike stall if you lock the rear brake while the throttle is still open? Seems like it would.

There is a couple of questions. I'll think of more later. Only post if you actually have a Rekluse.

Lets hear what you think the drawbacks are.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 19, 2007 - 03:25 PM

not being able to bump start is the only drawback i still miss, but thats something that pales in comparison to its positive features. you can lock the rear with the r's up and it doesn't stall if properly set. not sure why you'd want to intentionally lock the brake with the gas on,but if you were panick stopping while still on and just getting off the throttle it should be fine(i've never had mine stall under any braking conditions(over 2yrs now) upshifting i always back off the gas a little to save on trannie parts but i can shift as fast and hard as need be. go for it:thumbsup: i've got the rr handbrake also and love it,your right you won't need the perch adjuster and it has a better engagement action without it.

• FriscoKLR

Posted March 19, 2007 - 03:34 PM

The bump start really isn't a problem because it won't stall and if you don't want the engine off, don't hit the kill switch.

The Rekluse will make you ride so much smoother and faster its like you're cheating. Plus it really lets you concentrate on riding when your climbing over rocks and over down trees and really tight stuff.

• Wiz636

Posted March 19, 2007 - 04:04 PM

Yep, no bump starting.

No, it will not stall if you hit the rear brake with the throttle open...as soon as the rpm's drop below wherever you have the clutch set to engage it releases. What you would end up with would be a weird constant bogging/feathering situation.

The only thing that is a drawback for me is if I am hard charging up a steep hill and the front end starts to come up on me I have to let off the throttle when I would normally feather the clutch to bring the front end back down. If I had the perch adjuster I could feather it manually but I don't. That being said, having the Rekluse still makes gnarly hillclimbs a breeze compared to a manual clutch.

• grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2007 - 04:17 PM

He probably meant, "with the revs up", or something like that.

• 642MX

Posted March 19, 2007 - 04:57 PM

I don't see any drawbacks for woods riding or MX. I've had a Rekluse for nearly 3 years now (in both our bikes). I guess having to pull the clutch cover every 6 or so rides and check the installed gap could be a drawback, but it only takes 10 minutes to check it out and 20 minutes to adjust it if needed.

I have the perch adjuster and really like it too. Some folks have a hard time adjusting it, but its nice to bring the RPM's up on MX starts.

• LVThumper

Posted March 19, 2007 - 08:26 PM

I would say there are only two drawbacks that I have encountered.

#1 - No bump start. Not really that big of a deal to me.

#2 - I can't rev the bike too much when I come up on a slower rider during a desert race. I do miss being able to pull the clutch and give a couple of quick twists of the throttle. It was nice to be able to let the guy in front know I'm behind and looking to go by. Now I'm just a little more patient and wait for my "window" to get by.

Other than that, I love it!! :applause:

• youngwerth

Posted March 19, 2007 - 10:59 PM

With the z-Start Pro, you get all the advantages of the original z-Start with the added benefit of complete manual override at any RPM. Clutch lever is pretty much like stock about 3500 RPMs. Powershift and feather your clutch on the hillclimbs, even at very high RPMs.

• Mike546

Posted March 20, 2007 - 02:08 AM

If you have one of the 450s that has a kick-starter that locks up you could have trouble putting the bike in gear and rocking it back and forth. You can do it when the bike is cold but after everything is warmed up it just slips. I've had the Pro model in for one ride and I'm still up in the air about keeping it. As good as it works I still like being able to feather the clutch. Time will tell.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kxman

Posted March 20, 2007 - 05:07 AM

I took mine off. I had the installed gap set right, went on a 20 minute ride, rechecked the gap, still .035. Thought all was well. Went on a trail ride with some other guys. After 45 minutes the thing was slipping so bad I had to quit and load up. Removed it and put it back to stock. I was also having stalling issues. It would be fine setting still in gear or locking the rear tire up in gear it wouldn't stall. Problem I was having was when I would get back on the gas hard going up a hill after slowing down to miss a tree. Soon as you gave it gas it would stall. Adjusted the fuel screw, tried several pilot jets and even played with the A/P timing. More of the same. Anybody wants it look in the classifieds.

• moochie

Posted March 20, 2007 - 10:38 AM

I just installed the z-pro model on my 2006 YZ450F and have only ridden the bike once. Overall, I do like it, however, I did have a few issues that I'll hopefully be able to resolve with some further tuning.

I did stall the bike twice while riding it for about an hour. Each stall occurred when I cut the throttle coming into a tight corner and then when I got on the gas again the bike stalled. It's the same jetting I've had and that had never happened before.

At this point, I'm not sure whether to play with the pilot and or fuel screw or do further adusting on the clutch itself.

It's also not easy to adjust the clutch lever play with the z-pro model. You have to rev the bike up to about half throttle and then adjust the slack in the lever...revving that high while making an adjustment isn't easy.

• TexN343

Posted March 20, 2007 - 12:24 PM

turn up your idle screw this will help eliminate stalling. Once you set it up you won't ever stall again.

• TexN343

Posted March 20, 2007 - 12:29 PM

If you have one of the 450s that has a kick-starter that locks up you could have trouble putting the bike in gear and rocking it back and forth. You can do it when the bike is cold but after everything is warmed up it just slips. I've had the Pro model in for one ride and I'm still up in the air about keeping it. As good as it works I still like being able to feather the clutch. Time will tell.

I have the perch adjuster because I like using it for motocross style starts. It feathers it perfectly for 3rd gears starts. I can slip the clutch going uphill if my wheel lifts up instead of blipping the throttle risking a stall. I thought the only reason to get the "pro" model is so you can have stock like clutch pull? I have the older version and love the very light clutch pull .

• moochie

Posted March 20, 2007 - 12:37 PM

turn up your idle screw this will help eliminate stalling. Once you set it up you won't ever stall again.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do already have my idle turned up to the point that my bike will ever os slightly creep if I'm not on it.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 20, 2007 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do already have my idle turned up to the point that my bike will ever os slightly creep if I'm not on it.

moochie the pilot circuit needs to as lean as you can get it(you always want a couple small pops on decel) and a adjustable fuel screw so you can lean it even more as the day heats up or 1/2 way thru a race,etc. i've spent the better part of 2 yrs trying to get the fcr to work with the rekluse and i finally got it...i changed to a edelbrock carb. everyone says they are junk but after 5 - 2hr practice runs it hasn't stalled once(before it was at least 2-3 times a ride,can't have that during a HS!) the bike now starts 1st kick while in gear even when hot! unheard of with the fcr:thumbsup: i also might mention that about the same time i bought my ebrock,zip-ty racing started doing a carb mod that sounds like it might have solved the problem(which is poor atomization at low rpms);i'd reckon thats a place to start if you can't get it right with the pilot circuit. you send them your carb and its around $125:thumbsup:

• moochie

Posted March 21, 2007 - 01:17 PM

ncmountainman, thanks for the suggestion to try a leaner pilot circuit.

Though I sure would like to avoid the $125 zipty carb mod, I appreciate the suggestion as another alternative!

• moochie

Posted March 26, 2007 - 11:30 AM

This post just popped up on the z-pro. I'm getting worried about this!

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=487193

• Mike546

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:40 PM

I'm going out for my second ride with my Pro model tomorrow. I changed the black spring to the red one so it engages at higher RPM's. I think it work better for MX that way. I'll post back tomorrow night.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.