Valve Job. What parts to order?

7 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted March 18, 2007 - 07:51 PM

I've got a friend that's helping me with my valve job.
He said to get on Service Honda and order the parts.
Intake/exhaust valves, springs, head gasket.

What else do I need.
Thanks in advance.

• JackAttack

Posted March 19, 2007 - 06:44 AM

Your cam chain may have stretched. Depending on the hours, you should probably replace it.

Also, depending on the hours, you should do the piston rings while your in there. Inspect the cylinder and it should be fine, and just throw in a new set of rings.

• creeky

Posted March 19, 2007 - 07:05 AM

Kibblewhite valves and springs are superior to the Honda OEM.

• cleonard

Posted March 19, 2007 - 10:42 AM

The tensioner failed on mine. It worked great with the engine just sitting there, but allowed the chain to get loose when running.

Be watchful for valve seat problems. XR's only can make and install a replacement it is shot or loose in the head.

Service Honda may have the best prices, but they are slow and charge a lot for shipping. Try and get everything in one order.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slowxr

Posted March 19, 2007 - 02:20 PM

I called Precision Concepts in El Cajon.
They recommended a complete top end since I'll have the top opened up.

They said valves, piston, new rings etc for about $700(parts and labor). Sounded pretty reasonable.
Anyone have experience with their work?

• rebelventurer

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:56 PM

No one has mentioned valve guides, seals, retainers, rockers, camshaft, or replacing the piston with a higher compression slug? :applause:

• XR4DEZ

Posted March 20, 2007 - 09:19 AM

I called Precision Concepts in El Cajon.
They recommended a complete top end since I'll have the top opened up.

They said valves, piston, new rings etc for about $700(parts and labor). Sounded pretty reasonable.
Anyone have experience with their work?

These guys are top notch, everything will be done perfectly.

• blacktdi

Posted March 20, 2007 - 10:54 AM

No one has mentioned valve guides, seals, retainers, rockers, camshaft, or replacing the piston with a higher compression slug? :applause:

Don´t forget the camshaft middle bearing when worn out. My local machine workshop did an excellent job. Always replace the camchain and tensioner while you´re there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.