engine ciezed!!!

18 replies to this topic
  • offrodeo

Posted March 18, 2007 - 07:00 PM

well my cousin rode my bike without my permission and didnt know what he was doing. The oil plug fell out and all the oil drained out. soooo, he never stopped and kept riding so the engine ciezed. :applause: :eek: :lol:

so now his dad is gonna replace my engine. first i was wondering how it will be replaced. will they (the dealership) replace it as a "package" and replace everything? or will they replace what they "need"" to replace?
if they replace everything, how much will it cost?
if they replace what they need how much will it cost?

if they replace what they need i can imagine they boring the engine out and putting a bigger piston in, which in my eyes are good.

so can i get some info?

03' yz 450

• Ranger18

Posted March 19, 2007 - 06:45 AM

How is it his fault that the oil drain bolt fell out, that sounds like it's your fault. :eek: Granted, he should not take your bike with out permission, but if you rode it the bolt still would have come out, and you'd be rebuilding the motor.:applause:

• grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2007 - 08:02 AM

That's what I was thinking, but I couldn't get up the amibition to say so at the time I first reads this.

But you know if he had ridden it the right way, the drain plug would have stayed in.

• steve_97060

Posted March 19, 2007 - 10:50 AM

How is it his fault that the oil drain bolt fell out, that sounds like it's your fault. :eek: Granted, he should not take your bike with out permission, but if you rode it the bolt still would have come out, and you'd be rebuilding the motor.:applause:

I agree...

• 2wheels-drz

Posted March 19, 2007 - 11:14 AM

he broke it he sould pay for it...note where it says "never stopped riding" bottom line he run it till it broke. if he knew wat he was doing he would have stopped right away....

• Birdy426

Posted March 19, 2007 - 11:26 AM

Regardless of whose fault it is...
The dealer will likely NOT replace your engine as a unit. A complete engine would be pricey indeed. The will most likely tear down your engine, inspect the components, and then replace what needs to be replaced. Likely candidates are the piston, cylinder, cam shafts, cam chain, cam chain tensioner, valves, valve guides and seals, crank, and main bearings. A similar rebuild on my 426 (old age, not bad maintenance) cost somewhere between 1500 and 2000 just for parts (I did the work myself). Now, once you get past the engine itself, you have to worry about clutch plates, hub and basket, transmission bearings, and any of the tranny parts (shafts, gears, etc) that may have been overheated. I have never proiced transmission parts, as I have never had any problems.

As far as the bore, the WR and YZ cylinders are aluminum with a Nicasil plating. They cannot just be "bored out" and fitted with a bigger piston like the old cast iron linered bikes. If you bore the cylinder to accomodate a larger piston, you must also send the cylinder out to be replated.

Hope that helps...

• Ranger18

Posted March 19, 2007 - 12:32 PM

he broke it he sould pay for it...note where it says "never stopped riding" bottom line he run it till it broke. if he knew wat he was doing he would have stopped right away....

The problem is, the cousin was riding a bike that was going to break; it's not like he rode it off a cliff. If the oil drain bolt fell off my bike, I would probably ride it until it seized also.:eek: There is just no way to knotice oil comming out of the bottom of your motor while your riding, especially if he was on a trail in the back of a pack. Then 1 minute later the motor blows.
It sucks the cousin is never going to read this, because he might not be so willing to fix it when he realizes he didn't break it. I think a fair compramize would be 50/50, the owner for having a loose drain bolt, and the cousin for taking it with out permision.:lol:
Or there is the other alternative, and that is there is no cousin, it was actually the owner who made his own bike go boom, and he doesn't want to fess up to making a simple mistake. Not saying this is the case, but it could be.:applause:

• Ranger18

Posted March 19, 2007 - 12:34 PM

But you know if he had ridden it the right way, the drain plug would have stayed in.

:applause: :eek: :lol: :lol:

• xcessjw

Posted March 19, 2007 - 01:25 PM

I think I will loosen up my drain plug and let my smack-talking 18 year old son take my bike for a ride. Once he blows it up I will speed-dial Pro Circuit and offer to split the bill with him. I get a PC motor for the price of a normal rebuild! Youth and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blue9red9

Posted March 19, 2007 - 02:57 PM

Dumb mistakes happen. If you turn wrenches long enough, sooner or later, one will happen to you. I remember one time I rotated the tires on the wife's car. I forgot to tighten the right front lug nuts. I could have killed her. The wheel fell off in the driveway and took out the rotor etc. It happens.

Whoever left the oil bolt loose though or forgot to put oil in or whatever, is the one at fault.

• TRIPLE NICKEL

Posted March 19, 2007 - 03:13 PM

I think I will loosen up my drain plug and let my smack-talking 18 year old son take my bike for a ride. Once he blows it up I will speed-dial Pro Circuit and offer to split the bill with him. I get a PC motor for the price of a normal rebuild! Youth and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

You might be on to something:applause:

• jayh300

Posted March 20, 2007 - 06:48 AM

i was hoping the "smack talking" would be gone by 18.....mine is 17. in my situation i would still be paying and fixing it. I am crew chief, head mechanic,wash boy, and can still out run him.
I am with ya on the old age and treachery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they are not smart enough not follow us!!!!!

• TexN343

Posted March 22, 2007 - 12:02 AM

I check for loose bolts be4 riding....cousins fault. IMHO

• drbsandler

Posted August 11, 2007 - 03:53 PM

can you actually get a pro circuit motor for the cost of a rebuild? I blew up my CRF450R (piston went through the cylinder wall) and it's in the shop and sounding very expensive for a rebuild. Can you buy a new motor from honda?
Thanks for any help.

• mikedabike

Posted August 11, 2007 - 09:29 PM

First thing I do when I get a new bike is to safety wire all the oil drains. I also put a little RTV sealant on all the oil line bolts also so they can't back out. When I do an oil change I immediately refill with oil and wire the plug so I won't forget. I scared the crap out of my nephew the other day. I did an oil change on my bike and came home the next day and my 17 year old nephew had started my bike to show his friends. I asked him if he had refilled it with oil after I drained it the day before.:eek: Should have seen the look on his face, he thought he was in deep doo doo. Keep oil in the bike and keep the plugs wired.:prof:

• drbsandler

Posted August 13, 2007 - 08:01 AM

how do you wire the drain plug?

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2007 - 03:37 PM

how do you wire the drain plug?

http://www.rc51.org/wire1.htm

• smdonald

Posted August 14, 2007 - 07:01 AM

The whole safety wire gig seems a bit much. I dont know that every single bolt and nut need be safety wired.

Any way... as far as tranny parts go...you can rebuild your entire transmission, shafts, gears, bearings, and clips for around 550 to 600 from the TT Store...

• rexbond007

Posted August 14, 2007 - 04:36 PM

I check for loose bolts be4 riding....cousins fault. IMHO

if you checked them all then you would have found the drain plug!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.