1983 xr500

7 replies to this topic
  • aaronr

Posted March 18, 2007 - 06:40 PM

I have posted this problem many times before, and havent figured it out. when I start up my bike (xr500) with the choke on, it idles fine, but when you give it gas, itdoesnt rev all the way, and sputters and backfires, and does the same with the choke off, but when I cover the lid of the airbox completley, it revs great. I have cleaned and rejetted the carbs, with 133, and 108 main, and a 55 pilot. this has really been driving me crazy for months:banghead:

• beezerjoe

Posted March 18, 2007 - 07:39 PM

I think you're having a similar problem that I am having with my TT600.To start with my yamaha was blown up but still ran it passed alot of oil and would foul plug this is what I thought was my performace problem.Long story short overhauled it and it still ran like hell.Cleaned both carbs out a couple of timesstill ran like hell.What I found was that acouple of owners ago someone had raised the needles in the slides all the up and made it run so rich it wouldn't accelerate.It sounds to me that maybe a previous owner has lowered the needles in your carbs all the way down causing a severe lean condition.This would be why when you choke the air box down it runs better.I would look at the clip location in the needles bottom notch=rich top notch=lean.Any books that I have looked at don't show what the stock needle clip positions are hopefully someone else here posesses that info and maybe the clip positions for my TT600 also.Please help us.

• aaronr

Posted March 18, 2007 - 08:16 PM

I am not sure how to check the needles on it, as it is a dual carb. there are these little plates that you can take off on the top to check, but the whole pulling mechanism is on the side.

• hypersthenos

Posted March 18, 2007 - 09:06 PM

You should first find an appropriate schematic to show the disassembly of your carbs. I think the plate on the top of the carbs is just a cover. Under them you should see an internal linkage that actuates the slide/s. This internal linkage must be removed to access the slide and the needles. I remember a similar setup on an older XR I once worked on. You'll probably have to remove the carbs to service them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezerjoe

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:05 PM

You'll definetly have to remove and separate the carbs to do this as the throttle linkage and shaft needs to be removed from the carbs to get the slides out.Do you happen to know any of the history on the bike sometimes that could in the diagnosis.Was it parked for along time,was there a performance problem and some body messed with it and couldn't get it right?It would be interesting to know and also might shed some light on the problem.

• aaronr

Posted March 19, 2007 - 07:58 PM

well, I just got tipped that the stock main jet is actually a 135, so that could mean I need a bigger one than the 133 on there.

• bober

Posted April 30, 2007 - 11:33 AM

thats why i leave my carbs alone. They are working great as stock.

• cyclewizard

Posted April 30, 2007 - 01:28 PM

Your bike is way to lean. You need to rejet it.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.