Sag tool for '06 YZ450

8 replies to this topic
  • bryant40

Posted March 18, 2007 - 06:09 PM

Has anyone found a good shock preload/sag adjuster tool that will work on a 2006 YZ450F? I had a few, but none came close to fitting in there. I think I could get to it if I slipped out the carb.
I'm tired of using hammers and screwdrivers knocking the shit out of the thing. I am looking for a safer and easier alternative to adjust the shock sag without having to remove the carb.
thanks

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2007 - 06:17 PM

I use an aluminum drift punch made from scrap material. Most of the time, I can rotate the adjuster itself by grabbing the spring and rotating it by hand. The ring turns with it. Then, it's just a matter of unlocking and locking it.

• Mike546

Posted March 19, 2007 - 01:58 AM

Gray is right. Just make sure you have the bike on a center stand with the back wheel in the air.

• bryant40

Posted March 20, 2007 - 03:14 PM

I set my sag last in March last year and did not have much trouble with the screwdriver and hammer (on the stand of corse), but lately it is tougher when I tried it last. I am going to try again tonight with slighly more agression and see how it turns out.
I guess i'm out of luck with a tool, I cant seem to find one that fits. That damned, but wonderful, aluminum frame is 'all up in the way' of the shock. Adjusting my ktm's has possibly spoiled me.
Thanks guys. I need to adjust my preload, its too high at them moment. I'd like to get my sag back to 98mm.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike546

Posted March 20, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Adjusting my ktm's has possibly spoiled me.

Your not kidding, I had an 06 300. Between being able to remove the shock without even taking the seat off and changing the air filter with no tools you do get spoiled.

• Wiz636

Posted March 20, 2007 - 03:41 PM

Yep, drift punch and a hammer. I can see how a screwdriver would trear it up.

• kyle450rider

Posted March 20, 2007 - 05:27 PM

I set my sag last in March last year and did not have much trouble with the screwdriver and hammer (on the stand of corse), but lately it is tougher when I tried it last. I am going to try again tonight with slighly more agression and see how it turns out.
I guess i'm out of luck with a tool, I cant seem to find one that fits. That damned, but wonderful, aluminum frame is 'all up in the way' of the shock. Adjusting my ktm's has possibly spoiled me.
Thanks guys. I need to adjust my preload, its too high at them moment. I'd like to get my sag back to 98mm.

Dont get carried away with a punch.I ruined the spanner nut on my bike and will have to replace with a factory connection one.I would take grey's advice and find an aluminum one.

• bryant40

Posted March 20, 2007 - 06:43 PM

I know what a drift punch is, but I don't own one. I will pick one up if its the favorable tool. What makes the drift punch better than a screwdriver or similar shaped device? Because you can get them in aluminum vs. the hardend steel of other tools?

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2007 - 07:01 PM

That's one thing. The other is the rather obvious difference in the shape of the tip. A drift isn't shaped like a blade.

My "drift punch" is nothing more than a 10 inch long piece of leftover 7076 bar stock.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.