any news? wr450f street legal

19 replies to this topic
  • thead73

Posted March 18, 2007 - 04:56 PM

iam in the market for a dual sport bike, anyone heard anything about the wr450 being street legal next year, seems like they are almost there. just have to add some blinkers and DOT tires and emission stuff. iam stuck between buying a husky te510 now or wait for something better next year.
where i live the trails are small and dont connect anymore so you have to ride roads in between. seems like the dualsport market will be exploding soon and nobody makes a real offroad bike that you can plate (ex. drz400). aprilia rxv is nice but way to expensive and too costly maintenance:cry: . i like the husky te but its a little dated compared to the wr with its aluminum frame. i live in Ma. so no way around title with dualsport kit. anyone hear anything about the wr450 maybe street legal next year?:applause:

• SXP

Posted March 18, 2007 - 06:09 PM

seems like the dualsport market will be exploding soon and nobody makes a real offroad bike that you can plate (ex. drz400).

Heard of the KTM line-up of bikes? 450 and 525 EXCs? Street legal out of the box!

• thead73

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:41 PM

yeah i looked at the ktm's they are even more $ than the huskys and i just dont like them as much as huskys, ktm rear susp seems outdated, no linkage. woiuld like to see some japan competition to lower prices and offer more selection:applause: .

• eissinger4

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:47 AM

Just get a WR450, and dual sport it yourself. If you do it yourself, should only cost around $200-

• AZ45

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:57 AM

I recommend moving to Arizona. I walked into a third party DMV office last week and walked out with a plate ten mimutes later.

• thead73

Posted March 26, 2007 - 07:40 PM

i live in mass. they can sell dirtbikes here but you cant ride anywhere. no chance in hell of using a kit, they are all over that stuff. must be street title. i can see these new style off road street legal bikes getting real popular around here, just need to wait till more company build em:ride:

• johnnyjeep

Posted March 26, 2007 - 08:30 PM

I bought my 06 here in NV and the dealer gave me the green slip to take to DMV. I had the plate before I put on the DS kit.

• ny400ex

Posted April 02, 2007 - 01:53 PM

im in the same exact position here on long island....i have some trails, but no way to get to them without alot of illegal road riding. plating a bike is close to impossible so thats no help. the ktm is so friggin expensive, and the drz is so friggen heavy.....i wish the jap companies would figure out that the plated from the factory dual sport option is wanted by many people. im young, only 17, so i HOPE there are more options to chose from by the time im ready to buy in the next couple years. if they made the wr450 street legal from the showroom floor, i'd be all over it!

• WR_Jason

Posted April 02, 2007 - 04:01 PM

Fat chance. The WR is a stripped down Enduro race bike. The bike has to be competitive in that market, DOT legal would ad at least 30 lbs to the bike, most of that in tires, and dirt bike riders are like women when it comes to weight. They will live or die over 10 lbs. Look maybe to see a WR based bike with a different frame and cheaper suspension to be the road pig. Yes, if you want a true Jap dirt bike to ride on the road, you will need to find a street titeld frame and go from there ;-).
The best Factory Jap dual sport out there IMHO is the DR.
That being said, there are not to many people out there, cops or inspection shops that can tell you the differance between an XT or a WR. XT's with street titles are a dime a dozen.
You see what Im saying?

• jetfuel

Posted April 02, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Fat chance. The WR is a stripped down Enduro race bike. The bike has to be competitive in that market, DOT legal would ad at least 30 lbs to the bike, most of that in tires, and dirt bike riders are like women when it comes to weight. They will live or die over 10 lbs. Look maybe to see a WR based bike with a different frame and cheaper suspension to be the road pig. Yes, if you want a true Jap dirt bike to ride on the road, you will need to find a street titeld frame and go from there ;-).
The best Factory Jap dual sport out there IMHO is the DR.
That being said, there are not to many people out there, cops or inspection shops that can tell you the differance between an XT or a WR. XT's with street titles are a dime a dozen.
You see what Im saying?

I wish XT"s were a dime a dozen..I've been thinking of doing that myself , However..Cycle trader only shows "18" nation wide ..none in this area ..but I'll keep my eye open..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • garrysimmons

Posted April 02, 2007 - 05:37 PM

Yamaha just announced three new street-legal 250s including a WR and a super-motard. One can only hope that a 450 will be coming too.

• bhiggins25

Posted April 03, 2007 - 09:11 AM

What?!?!? Link please.

• WR_Jason

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:05 AM

http://www.transworl...1606396,00.html

looks nice. I agree it needs to use the 450 mill in the US.

• bhiggins25

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:11 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no indication this bike or anything like it is going to be released in the U.S.

After all, there's all kinds of street legal YZs and WRs in Australia and elsewhere, but none of them show up on our shores.

• WR_Jason

Posted April 05, 2007 - 08:24 AM

True. We can only hope.

• Spokes

Posted April 06, 2007 - 11:17 AM

According to literature, KTM only added 4 pounds when making the EXC street legal.

• DRZinMD

Posted April 06, 2007 - 12:10 PM

Wait just one minute, why the problem?? I got a "reconstructed" title and plated my '99 wr400 in the "Peoples Republic of Maryland".

Maryland's MVA (DMV) has got to as much of a pain as MA. I did my reading and created bike with the minimum street legal requirements.

Just how do they get the "choppers" on the road, same deal seems to me.

• thead73

Posted May 13, 2007 - 02:34 PM

wow that wr250r is sweet:worthy: . i just hope they make a bigger 450 version and bring it to the U.S. iam very close to buying the husky te510 but would love to see yamaha make some real street legal dirt bikes like husky and ktm,aprilia. i believe the price and quality is better with the yamaha just hope they make it cuz i cant wait to much longer:cry:

• gelean01

Posted May 14, 2007 - 08:55 PM

I believe DRZinMD has a point, if you put on the required parts to be street legal how can they refuse you? Here in Canada it's seems to be difficult to street legalize a WR450 untill you try it and BA-BING. With the addition of signals,horn,speedo,brake light, and a mirror you will only be approx. 6lbs heavier.

• bg10459

Posted May 15, 2007 - 05:28 AM

...if you put on the required parts to be street legal how can they refuse you?

In NY the only way to do it is use your "once in a lifetime" custom bike allowance. If you try with your MSO that says "Offroad Use Only", there is no way, no how.:applause:

For the Mass guy, try in Maine if you can. After jumping through a few hoops, I just made mine legal there.:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.