04 sprocket bolts keep coming loose-HELP

7 replies to this topic
  • hutcher

Posted March 18, 2007 - 03:35 PM

I have a 2004 YZ450 F. I love the bike but I can't seem to keep the sprocket bolts tight, I ride 30 minutes and have to tighten them again. I've tried loctite, even replaced the bolts with new ones (which I also loctited) WHAT NOW?

• gord955

Posted March 18, 2007 - 03:42 PM

I have a 04 450 as well, I have never had a problem with loose sprocket bolts. I would think your hub holes are worn, that could cause your problem. You can drill the holes and put a sleeve in or replace the hub.

• tonypitcock79

Posted March 18, 2007 - 06:30 PM

i have an 06 450 that has exploded 2 rear hubs 1 resulting in engine cases . tried everything ,called yamaha they paid for the new hub & cases first time didn`t even call on second one, got an excel hub & wheel problem solved, also have 250f with same problem but no explosion yet

• xcessjw

Posted March 19, 2007 - 04:14 AM

I had the same problem on my 04. I finally ran the chain a tiny bit looser than I normally did and I made sure I checked the bolts after every ride/moto and no more problems. I even ran a 1 hour long "fun" moto last fall and I fully expected the thing to grenade or a least loosen up and it was totally fine after.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Reyndogg

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:59 AM

you could always drill and safety wire them...

• mayday

Posted March 19, 2007 - 06:09 AM

Had the same problem on my 04 450. Once I torqued the bolt to what the manual says the problem hasn't came back. Make sure you torque the nuts and not the allen head bolts. :applause:

• partialperson

Posted March 19, 2007 - 10:24 AM

This problem is ongoing & happens more than people think, not an isolated incident. If all else fails try using household 100% dap silicone. It takes up the space & has a bonding agent. Years ago we had some problems on our sprint car and that was the only cure. I've always thought the bolt shoulders have too much tolerence in the hub holes. Stress & vibration probably add to the problem.

• hutcher

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:16 PM

Thanks - I'll try the silicone AND torque to factory specs (although I tried that last time too.) Would I be well advised to go ahead and change the sprocket and chain at this point? Mine are three years old (although injuries haven't afforded me much riding time one them).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.